"Lourdes, France" Top 5 Page for this destination Lourdes by Emmjai

Lourdes Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 283 photos

This small town in the Pyrenees is known for its association with Saint Bernadette, a young girl to whom Mary the mother of God appeared 18 or so times in 1858. It is associated with healing, and as a result of this, attracts millions of visitors (<<Pilgrims>>) each year, for all over the world. Whether they are all hoping for a miracle cure I cannot say, but there have only been 60 or so in the 150 years that the shrine has attracted attention.

It is a place that seems to polarise people; those who enjoy their time there return year upon year, I have visited some 15 or more times, and have seen it change over the 25 years these visits have taken place. Some people hate the seemingly thousands of tacky souvenir shops (I just ignore them), Do take your sense of humour along; although a place of pilgrimage, laughing (not prayer) is what I do most when I am there!

Mind your ankles. Amateur wheel chair drivers abound and it can be painful!

Many pilgrims stay in the Accuill Notre-Dame, a type of hostel for those too disabled to stay in the hotels. Each pilgrimage group bring their own 'staff' mainly volenteers, who care for these 'sick' pilgrims during their stay.

<<Voitures>> are the old fashioned wheel chairs that are used through out Lourdes to transport those unable to walk between the accueill, the grotto and the bars!

• Pros:An great escape
  • Cons:tacky souvenir shops
  • In a nutshell:Laughter and Love
  • Last visit to Lourdes: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2006

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Thank you for your information about Lourdes.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 6:24 PM

I've been to Lourdes 3 times & find it full of peace joy & love. I tire of people trashing Lourdes because of the shops. The sanctuary has none & this is what counts. The shops must pay or there wouldn't be so many. I enjoyed your page. Thank you.

• johannt's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 4:49 AM

Emmjai, Do you recall where you took the photo of the Virgin Mary reading a book and title 'Modern Lourdes'? Can you let me know by emailing jthalakada@gmail.com? Many thanks, Johann

• roamingpaddy's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for the memories of Lourdes mary Jane,I have been there,well done!

• jmhenry1123's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 10:34 AM

I'm going to Lourdes in August. I hope to find some inspiration there!

• tioga's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 9:43 PM

Going to Lourdes next September, your tips very helpful, thanks.

• eugini2001's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 3:07 PM

That's very interesting,I think it will be another reason after Paris to visit France! They sell this water here for 75$ with a month delivery,but it's good too,because this fact made me curious about this place!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2004 at 12:32 AM

This is the first time I have ever read about Lourdes!! Sounds really interesting : ))

• btrix's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 12:32 AM

i like your garuarnie pic.... nice angle =) !

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2003 at 2:28 AM

Nice pics & info. Never been to Lourdes, it seems to be a 'must' that I would enjoy :-)

Emmjai Visits Here Frequently!

Emmjai

“Life's an adventure”

Badges & Stats in Lourdes

Have you been to Lourdes?

Latest Activity in Lourdes