"Garmisch-Partenkirchen" Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen by MrBill

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 1,037 photos

Oeber Bayern

We have lived in Garmisch on the weekends since 1999 - hiking, biking, skiing, and enjoying the mountains. I am also a Member of the National Ski Patrol in the Garmisch Mountain Patrol.

First of all, let me say that living in GAP is wonderful. We love the place. We love it even more when it snows in the Winter, and is sunny in the Summer. It tends to rain too much in GAP, and the snow can quickly disappear when it gets too warm. Blame it on global warming. However, this past Winter we were lucky and had decent snow for a change right up until Easter.

It is about 1-hour south of Munich on the Austrian border, and about 55-kms from Innsbruck on mostly twisty mountain roads. A life-time of winter driving in Canada, and I put my Audi in the Rhubarb last Winter on this road. So watch the road, not the scenery.

We live in a wonderful, old house called Haus Amsel that was built in 1936. I can only describe it as Landhaus-style. The winow shutters are candy striped red & white. It is three stories high, and we have the apartment under the eaves. We have mountain views out of both sides. They are trememdous.

Weekends are spent in the surrounding mountains - God's Cathederal - doing whatever the season dictates. Main thing is that we are active and out and about in the fresh air.

We often visit the swimming pool in Grainau, just outside of GAP, in the shadow of the Zugspitze, the highest mountain of the German Alps. In the summer you can sit outside and picnic on the grass next to the Olympic sized pool. Inside there are saunas, steam baths, a large jacuzzi, and a play area for children adjacent to the 25-metre pool. After a hard day of sport, relax in the jacuzzi and gaze out the picture windows at the church on the hill against the background of Zugspitze.

General Tip: Buy a trail map and get out of GAP itself. It is a bit of a tourist trap. Although we do like to go to the local Fests in the summertime. All the locals even wear their lederhosen and dirndels, which funnily enough, do not look the least bit out of place in GAP.

My Special View

Bavarian Alps

• Pros:hiking, biking, skiing, close to Munich & only 3-hours from Italy
  • Cons:tends to rain too much
  • In a nutshell:I spend every weekend I can enjoying GAP
  • Last visit to Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2007

• debtravers's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 6:24 AM

Lived in GAP in 1980/81 so yr pages brought back happy memories, of swimming at kainzenbad & riessersee. Love it here too!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2006 at 4:05 AM

never made it there - will make it one day

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 9:55 PM

very cool pages. :)

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 9:06 AM

Bill, ever thought of writing a book on Garmisch-Partenkirchen? Excellent pages and coverage of things one needs to know. A stellar page and thanks for sharing the extra photos. Kat

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 1:46 PM

Great tips and pictures!

• PookieRabbit's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 6:46 AM

Another great GaP page. Was thinking of visiting next Winter but now tempted by Summer too!

• Mar 11, 2005 at 10:01 AM

I vonlunteer hubby. A Canadian born named Charlie who hikes, bikes, loves VW bus, knows Europe, very flexible with time. He refuses to learn French though, but he can speak Spanish and passable Italian.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2005 at 7:52 AM

To quote Rod Stewart, "Every picture tells a story, don't it? I visited GAP with my mom in 1969 and we stayed at the Hotel Alpenhof. Wonderful memories!

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2005 at 8:30 PM

Despite its proximity to Munich we never quite got up to GAP - will have the Zugspitzbahn to look forward to at some future date. Thanks for breathtaking views!

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 9:16 AM

great fotos of bavarian rural mountains

MrBill Used To Live Here!

MrBill

“would you think less of me if I didn't have a cheesey motto?”

Badges & Stats in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Have you been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen?

Latest Activity in Garmisch-Partenkirchen