"Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen by MrBill

Lauterbrunnen Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 779 photos

Top of Europe

As a member of the National Ski Patrol, I have been training and skiing in Wengen and Murren dozens of times since 1994. Above Wengen is the Kleine Scheidig. And, above Murren is the Schilthorn and Piz Gloria. Take the cog rail train up to the Winteregg. Look across the valley and take in a most spectacular view of the Monch, Eiger and the Jungfrau - the Top of Europe.

Lauterbrunnen

A dramatic, narrow valley, with steep, sheer walls on either side. At the end of the valley are snow capped mountains, whose glaciers catch the rising and setting sun, which can be a be in quite a contrast to the green down below in the valley.

On my recent ski tour to the Mutterhorn in May, we had every kind of weather from blizzard to Spring skiing. At the end of the glacier, we had a three hour descent into the valley, carrying our heavy packs and skiis. Not a lot of fun when it is 26 degrees Celsius in the valley and you are wearing ski boots and ski pants!

Half-way down, an avalanche had completely blocked our trail with a tangle of broken trees that we could not make our way through. The sheer destructive power of an avalanche is awesome to behold. Snapped trees like twigs, and half a mountain was a clear-cut zone. We had to absail down around the avalanche zone and pick up the trail farther down. Our reward was to later sit in the Spring sunshine at the beer garden in Steckelberg and toast our adventure.

After a week of ski touring, the other guests gave us a wide berth (phew). Showers and shaving came only later back at the campground in Lauterbrunnen, when it was time to say goodbye and hang up the skiis for another season.

take-off in early morning light

• Pros:spectacular scenery, good intermediate skiing
  • Cons:expensive relative to France and Austria
  • In a nutshell:like a second home for me
  • Last visit to Lauterbrunnen: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2007

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 5:56 AM

What great experiences you have had in this wonderful country. After 3 trips here I still haven't seen all.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 7:09 AM

very sound advice to the unitiatied the though of being caught in an avalance terrifies me

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2006 at 3:39 PM

What a beautiful, beautiful place! I love your photos, too. I really hope to see Switzerland someday, it looks like such a great place

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2005 at 10:47 AM

Fascinating page. Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. Really a great page.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 3:25 AM

Stunning, really ! Great tips, especially about safety. I'd rather go to Cuba, but I am looking forward to our next skiing adventure. The scenery and joy of conquering new mountains is worth the effort.

• Dec 30, 2004 at 1:14 AM

What an interesting page Bill and fabulous photos! Long time since I went skiing... maybe I should give it another go! Oh and Bill? Get that VeeDub and follow your dream... :))

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2004 at 6:16 AM

Interesting insight into the hut/hike experience. Some tip i would move to general Switz page though. Great travelogues too.

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 12:44 PM

Great snowy and sunny Swiss page. Thanks for your safety advice about high mountain risks. Greetings from the Swiss Alps!

• Animal_Crackers's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 6:23 AM

Wow great pics but I am waiting for more tips and comments to go with your photos. Keep up the good work, but don't quit! haha Cheers.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 10:06 AM

Very good tip's,I just lve this place to bit's.

MrBill Visits Here Frequently!

MrBill

“would you think less of me if I didn't have a cheesey motto?”

Badges & Stats in Lauterbrunnen

Have you been to Lauterbrunnen?

Latest Activity in Lauterbrunnen