"Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland" Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen by MrBill
Lauterbrunnen Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 791 photos
As a member of the National Ski Patrol, I have been training and skiing in Wengen and Murren dozens of times since 1994. Above Wengen is the Kleine Scheidig. And, above Murren is the Schilthorn and Piz Gloria. Take the cog rail train up to the Winteregg. Look across the valley and take in a most spectacular view of the Monch, Eiger and the Jungfrau - the Top of Europe.
A dramatic, narrow valley, with steep, sheer walls on either side. At the end of the valley are snow capped mountains, whose glaciers catch the rising and setting sun, which can be a be in quite a contrast to the green down below in the valley.
On my recent ski tour to the Mutterhorn in May, we had every kind of weather from blizzard to Spring skiing. At the end of the glacier, we had a three hour descent into the valley, carrying our heavy packs and skiis. Not a lot of fun when it is 26 degrees Celsius in the valley and you are wearing ski boots and ski pants!
Half-way down, an avalanche had completely blocked our trail with a tangle of broken trees that we could not make our way through. The sheer destructive power of an avalanche is awesome to behold. Snapped trees like twigs, and half a mountain was a clear-cut zone. We had to absail down around the avalanche zone and pick up the trail farther down. Our reward was to later sit in the Spring sunshine at the beer garden in Steckelberg and toast our adventure.
After a week of ski touring, the other guests gave us a wide berth (phew). Showers and shaving came only later back at the campground in Lauterbrunnen, when it was time to say goodbye and hang up the skiis for another season.
- Pros:spectacular scenery, good intermediate skiing
- Cons:expensive relative to France and Austria
- In a nutshell:like a second home for me
If you are an American skiing in Europe the one thing you will not see in the Alpine backcountry, or off-piste as we... more travel advice
You will not find too many nightclubs or hot bars in Lauterbrunnen. Best to pick a restaurant near your hotel, have a... more travel advice
MrBill's Related Pages
Lauterbrunnen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland"
- "a great base to explore the Jungfrau-region"
- "Exciting Time in Lauterbrunnen & Jungfrau"
- "HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE LAUTERBRUNNEN!"
- "Can I Retire Here?"
- "Lovely Little Lauterbrunnen....."
- "Magnificent Lauterbrunnen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen
- Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
- Transportation in Lauterbrunnen
- Nightlife in Lauterbrunnen
- Restaurants in Lauterbrunnen
- Shopping in Lauterbrunnen
- Warnings and Dangers in Lauterbrunnen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lauterbrunnen
- 59 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Lauterbrunnen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lauterbrunnen
Photos in LauterbrunnenSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 94 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 27 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 60 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 59 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen Intro, 41 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beirut Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zürich Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Limassol District Intro, 10 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues