"Holland" Tilburg by MrBill

Tilburg Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 439 photos

Landscapes

I studied at Tilburg University in 2001-02 while working on my MBA.

I must admit it took me many years and numerous trips to Holland to discover the countryside outside of Amsterdam. Amsterdam is for many 'Europe-Lite', full of bars and tourists, and everyone speaks English. Amsterdam is nice, and they do have some wonderful museums. What many tourists do miss though is the 'other Holland' which is in the South of the country.

I only discovered Tilburg, Den Bosch and Maastricht while studying in the Netherlands. I was overwhelmed. It is not hard to see where the Dutch Masters got their inspiration to paint their impressionist landscapes.

Every canal, every line of trees, every small city provides enough fodder for the camera lens to keep you snapping. The best way to see the canals and to travel from small town to small town is, of course, with a bicycle. This is the real way to see Holland.

While you are in the neighborhood, slip over to Belgium and sample some of their Belgium beer while seeing Brussels, Bruege and Rotterdam. It is really not far.

Cityscapes

Quaint, picturesque towns & villages. It sounds like a cliche, but here they are!

I am going to be in Holland again in June, and I promise to snap some photos to post on these pages. I doubt I will have any time to paint, but maybe I can glean some inspiration for later this summer?

Understated Beauty - Muted Cityscapes

• Pros:cycling along the canals
  • Cons:too flat, too far from the mountains
  • In a nutshell:landscape direct out of an old Dutch Master's painting
  • Last visit to Tilburg: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2007

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 1:22 PM

I am living 10 km from Tilburg and was very curious what you wrote about Tilburg. ha ha I see absolute nothing from Tilburg at your Tilburg page :-))

MrBill Visits Here Frequently!

MrBill

“would you think less of me if I didn't have a cheesey motto?”

Badges & Stats in Tilburg

Have you been to Tilburg?

Latest Activity in Tilburg