"Holland" Tilburg by MrBill
Tilburg Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 439 photos
I studied at Tilburg University in 2001-02 while working on my MBA.
I must admit it took me many years and numerous trips to Holland to discover the countryside outside of Amsterdam. Amsterdam is for many 'Europe-Lite', full of bars and tourists, and everyone speaks English. Amsterdam is nice, and they do have some wonderful museums. What many tourists do miss though is the 'other Holland' which is in the South of the country.
I only discovered Tilburg, Den Bosch and Maastricht while studying in the Netherlands. I was overwhelmed. It is not hard to see where the Dutch Masters got their inspiration to paint their impressionist landscapes.
Every canal, every line of trees, every small city provides enough fodder for the camera lens to keep you snapping. The best way to see the canals and to travel from small town to small town is, of course, with a bicycle. This is the real way to see Holland.
While you are in the neighborhood, slip over to Belgium and sample some of their Belgium beer while seeing Brussels, Bruege and Rotterdam. It is really not far.
Quaint, picturesque towns & villages. It sounds like a cliche, but here they are!
I am going to be in Holland again in June, and I promise to snap some photos to post on these pages. I doubt I will have any time to paint, but maybe I can glean some inspiration for later this summer?
- Pros:cycling along the canals
- Cons:too flat, too far from the mountains
- In a nutshell:landscape direct out of an old Dutch Master's painting
MrBill's Related Pages
Tilburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tilburg - city of the damned?"
- "Tilburg, a vanishing city"
- "Music City"
- "catnl's new Tilburg Page"
- "We visit Tilburg"
- "My New World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tilburg
- Hotels in Tilburg
- Transportation in Tilburg
- Nightlife in Tilburg
- Restaurants in Tilburg
- Shopping in Tilburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Tilburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Placid
- Jekyll Island Hotels
- Lake Buena Vista Hotels
- Fort Delaware State Park Hotels
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Lago di Garlate Hotels
- Chennai (Madras)
- San Antonio Abad
- Varna Hotels
- San Francisco de Macorís Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tilburg
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Tilburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tilburg
Photos in TilburgSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 94 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 27 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 60 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 59 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen Intro, 41 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limassol Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beirut Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zürich Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Limassol District Intro, 10 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues