New York City Restaurant Tips by garridogal

New York City Restaurants: 2,788 reviews and 2,812 photos

"Oh Carmen....I am not worthy!" - New York City

"Oh Carmen....I am not worthy!"

Rice 'n Beans: Yummy Brazilian! Rice 'n Beans Review

Rice 'n Beans is a little restaurant with a fun and "homey" atmosphere. We walked in and snagged the last open table, right by the window. The service was really good and fast and the food was really tasty.

I'm half Cuban so I really love the fact that Brazilian food is so similar to food I grew up eating. This consists of a lot of richly seasoned, cooked and grilled meat and, of course, rice and beans!

Favorite Dish: I had a steak with onions that was really tasty. It was a bit fatty and I had to cut off around 1/4 of it that I wouldn't touch. However, what remained was fine and enough to fill me and the sauteed onions it was covered in were delicious. I chose the yellow rice and black beans to accompany my meal and they were great. Also tasted some of the friend plantains that my friend ordered and they were just like the ones my mom used to make!

Address: 744 Ninth Ave (between 50th & 51st Streets)

Directions: Hell's Kitchen

Phone: 212 265 4444

Price: US$21-30

My first spoonful! - New York City

My first spoonful!

Tasti D Lite: Why can't we have one of these in Boston? Tasti D Lite Review

I'd been wanting to try this stuff for some time now but just never got around to it during my last couple of visits to NYC or we just couldn't find one when we wanted to. Well.....turns out that my best friend's new apartment is just a few blocks from one! (That's the supernatural force that led him to it, if you ask me....) So, yay! Finally got to try the stuff!

Favorite Dish: I had a swirl that consisted of Creme Brulee and Chocolate Fudge in a waffle cone. I liked the chocolate flavor more, but it was really good in that it really felt like a decadent treat.

Here's the scoop: It's low fat, low calorie, low cholesterol, low sugar, low sodium, not made with artificial sweeteners and it's Kosher! So basically, something for just about everyone!

Address: 2540 Broadway (95th and 96th)

Price Comparison: about average

Directions: They're all over the city!

Phone: 212-316-4242

Price: less than US$10

Theme: Dessert

"Yummy!" - New York City

"Yummy!"

Bottino: Delicious Italian Food in a cool atmosphere Bottino Review

Had a wonderful meal at Bottino's in the midst of a Monsoon like storm. It was raining so hard out that just crossing a street would render you soaked. So, walking in to the cool bar with nice music playing that wasn't too loud and the smell of good cooking in the background was refreshing. Since it had been unseasonably warm for the better part of the weekend, the back patio was open with a tarp over it and you could really hear the rain pounding down as you ate. Kinda added to the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious Caprese salad and basil filled ravioli. Also took several tastes of my friends fetucinni with pesto. Both were delcious but luckily, I favored mine! The bread was tasty and crusty and the butter was the sweet and almost cheesey in flavor - like you can find in Europe. Delicious.....!

Address: 246 10th Avenue

Directions: In Chelsea

Phone: 212 206 6766

Rating: 5

Theme: Italian

Meat..... - New York City

Meat.....

Village Yokocho: Japanese Tapas - fun, yummy and different Village Yokocho Review

This is a fun little spot where you can order all sorts of small dishes (tapas) of all sorts of things like dumplings, meat skewars, and exotic things like chicken hearts and other animal parts that you might not find so appealling.

Favorite Dish: Weirdest thing we ordered were Quail eggs. We also had a dumplings made with pork meat and wasabi, tofu in a delicious sauce, a variety of meat skewars, edamame and a scary sashimi over rice with some sort of warm sauce over it that looked....well, I'll just stick with the word "scary". Neither of us would try it!

However, everything else was delicious and we washed it all down with Saki.

Address: 8 Stuyvesant St

Phone: (212) 598-3041

Theme: Japanese/Sushi

• Updated Aug 7, 2007
I'm having fun, can't you tell? - New York City

I'm having fun, can't you tell?

Pio Pio: Great food - blurry photos! Pio Pio Review

I'd never had Peruvian food before so I was happy as I always am to try something new and Pio Pio did not dissappoint. The atmosphere was fun and hopping and the food was tasty. What more could you want?

Favorite Dish: I had the Camarones Picante which means spicy shrimp. They were served in a tasty and moderately spicy sauce plentiful enough to also soak the cous-cous which was prepared with a leafy green vegetable and a little goat cheese. Bryan had the roast chicken which is the house speciality and we split the avocado salad. Yummers...

Address: 702 Amsterdam Ave

Directions: Upper West Side

Phone: 212-665-3000

• Updated Aug 6, 2007
Lovely presentation, huh? - New York City

Lovely presentation, huh?

Haru: YAY....Sushi! Haru Sushi Review

My two friends that I travelled to NYC with don't eat seafood. So....imagine my surprise when they agreed to go to a Japanese place! Okay, the trip was supposed to be about me (Birthday) so there you go.

I liked this spot. I love Sushi and their menu had some innovative combinations which I really enjoyed trying.

Favorite Dish: I had a House Tempura Roll as an appetizer which was made with Eel, Shrimp and Salmon. For an entree I had the Titanic roll. It had Salmon, Avocado and Caviar and was gorgeous to look at as well as delicious!

The warm Saki was a treat too.

Address: 220 Park Ave S

• Updated Dec 30, 2006
Platanitos.... - New York City

Platanitos....

Flor de Mayo: Try the Shrimps Flor de Mayo Review

Flor de Mayo is a Cuban/Chinese place. The night I went it was bustling, busy and loud! In fact, it may be the loudest restaurant I've ever been in. That being said, you now know that this is not the spot for an intimate romantic dinner. This is the kind of place you go to when you're hungry for generous portions ethnic food served quickly!

Favorite Dish: Unlike my friends, I opted to try order a Chinese dish, Kung Pao Shrimp or as they called it "Kung Po Shrimps". I thought they were great and thoroughly enjoyed them. I also ate most of the order of Mofongo that was ordered as a side dish. It was good but truthfully, I've had better.

My friends, on the other hand, went for the Cuban food and were dissappointed. The Arroz con Pollo was mainly arroz (rice) and the fried chicken was described as "KFC" that was mainly fatty pieces.

One of the guys sitting next to me was eating yellow rice and something made primarily with red beans which looked pretty good. I'm not sure if I'd ever eat here again. My Chinese dish was great but I doubt that their Cuban dishes could be as good as my mom's. But then again, whose could?

Address: 484 Amsterdam Ave

• Written Nov 13, 2006
Hollywood in the dark - New York City

Hollywood in the dark

Hollywood Diner: Hurray for Hollywood! Hollywood Diner Review

I've had breakfast here twice and have thoroughly enjoyed these meals. What can I tell you about the ambiance other than to tell you that it's a busy and crowded diner like many others, but it does have photos of "stars" all around it. Well, it is the Hollywood Diner.

Favorite Dish: When I ate here last year I had an omelette which I remember as being really tasty. This time around I had the French Toast which were fat and fluffy and tasty, with a side of yummy sausages.

I'd definately eat here again!

Address: 547 8th Avenue

Directions: Chelsea

Phone: (212) 691-8465

Price: less than US$10

Theme: Diner

• Written Nov 13, 2006
Yummy Brunch - New York City
French Roast: Yummy Brunch French Roast Review

This is a very New York place with lots of tables crammed closely together! Although it's named after coffee I had already had two cups by the time we arrived so I settled for just trying their food, which was very good.

Favorite Dish: I had an omelette made with avocado salsa and Gruyere cheese. If you like guacamole, then you'd like this dish. I thought it was great and my friends really enjoyed their food too. Bryan had a cheeseburger that they're supposedly famous for and it looked really good.

Would definately eat here again!

Address: 2340 Broadway

Price Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Various Locations

Phone: 212 799 1533

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.frenchroastnyc.com

• Updated Oct 25, 2006
It's right in this hood! - New York City

It's right in this hood!

The Metro Diner: Yummy food - served up quickly! Metro Diner Review

Walked in here on a busy Sunday morning and were seated right away. Our quick, efficient and friendly waitor took our drink orders right away. The food came quickly too and it was really good!

Here's a tip: The juice cost almost as much as the meal. So, if you're looking to save a buck stick to water, coffee or a soft drink.

Favorite Dish: I had scrambled eggs, homefries and sausages. All was really good and the food at the tables surrounding ours looked really good too. I'd definately go back to the Metro for a quick and good meal.

Address: 2641 Broadway

Directions: at 100th street

Phone: 212-866-0800

Theme: Diner

Website: http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?neighborhoodid=0&restaurantid=1751

• Written Oct 24, 2006

garridogal Was Born Here!

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City