New York City Restaurant Tips by garridogal

New York City Restaurants: 2,785 reviews and 2,817 photos

A gallery of Goodies! - New York City
Le District: A gallery of Goodies! Le District Review

We walked in here to see if we could find some ice cream and found this wonderful cluster of eateries and vendors. The place is divided into restaurant, cafe, garden, and market districts. You'll want to try them all. Luckily we found ice cream and it was delicious. We grabbed seat at one of the indoor tables in the atrium and enjoyed the view of the Freedom Tower, the palm trees, and the decor.

I kind of love this place.

Address: BROOKFIELD PLACE 225 LIBERTY STREET

Website: http://www.ledistrict.com/

• Written Nov 4, 2015
But not hidden - New York City
Incognito: But not hidden Incognito Bistro Review

Night Two of our Family Reunion dinner tour was held here. Incognito has a really nice menu full of originally prepared Italian style dishes. The decor and lighting were just perfect and we had a nice round table in the middle of the room. However, due to unseasonable warm temperatures in October, there was no air-conditioning and it was really uncomfortably warm in there. I would suggest they watch the temperatures and not the calendar when making temperature decisions.

Favorite Dish: Onto the food. A lot of tried one of the specials, Risotto with Shrimp in a Curry sauce. Tasted like paella and was delicious!

Address: 30 West 18 Street

Website: http://www.incognitobistro.com/

• Written Nov 4, 2015
Yummy, fresh food - New York City
Market Table: Yummy, fresh food Market Table Review

We had our first of two family reunions here. I saw one of my cousins, from Colombia, that I hadn't seen since 1974 and met his lovely wife. This, to me, was way more important than the food and is what I mainly remember of my time here. However, I can tell you that my dinner was tasty and very well prepared and our waitress was lovely and friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had some Char, which I will usually order if I see it on a menu. It was very good. It was not to die for as I've had in a couple of my local neighborhood restaurants but all in all, satisfying.

Address: 54 Carmine St

Directions: In The Village

Phone: (212) 255-2100

Price: US$41 and up

Theme: American

Website: http://www.markettablenyc.com/

• Written Nov 2, 2015
"Oh Carmen....I am not worthy!" - New York City

"Oh Carmen....I am not worthy!"

Rice 'n Beans: Yummy Brazilian! Rice 'n Beans Review

Rice 'n Beans is a little restaurant with a fun and "homey" atmosphere. We walked in and snagged the last open table, right by the window. The service was really good and fast and the food was really tasty.

I'm half Cuban so I really love the fact that Brazilian food is so similar to food I grew up eating. This consists of a lot of richly seasoned, cooked and grilled meat and, of course, rice and beans!

Favorite Dish: I had a steak with onions that was really tasty. It was a bit fatty and I had to cut off around 1/4 of it that I wouldn't touch. However, what remained was fine and enough to fill me and the sauteed onions it was covered in were delicious. I chose the yellow rice and black beans to accompany my meal and they were great. Also tasted some of the friend plantains that my friend ordered and they were just like the ones my mom used to make!

Address: 744 Ninth Ave (between 50th & 51st Streets)

Directions: Hell's Kitchen

Phone: 212 265 4444

Price: US$21-30

My first spoonful! - New York City

My first spoonful!

Tasti D Lite: Why can't we have one of these in Boston? Tasti D Lite Review

I'd been wanting to try this stuff for some time now but just never got around to it during my last couple of visits to NYC or we just couldn't find one when we wanted to. Well.....turns out that my best friend's new apartment is just a few blocks from one! (That's the supernatural force that led him to it, if you ask me....) So, yay! Finally got to try the stuff!

Favorite Dish: I had a swirl that consisted of Creme Brulee and Chocolate Fudge in a waffle cone. I liked the chocolate flavor more, but it was really good in that it really felt like a decadent treat.

Here's the scoop: It's low fat, low calorie, low cholesterol, low sugar, low sodium, not made with artificial sweeteners and it's Kosher! So basically, something for just about everyone!

Address: 2540 Broadway (95th and 96th)

Price Comparison: about average

Directions: They're all over the city!

Phone: 212-316-4242

Price: less than US$10

Theme: Dessert

"Yummy!" - New York City

"Yummy!"

Bottino: Delicious Italian Food in a cool atmosphere Bottino Review

Had a wonderful meal at Bottino's in the midst of a Monsoon like storm. It was raining so hard out that just crossing a street would render you soaked. So, walking in to the cool bar with nice music playing that wasn't too loud and the smell of good cooking in the background was refreshing. Since it had been unseasonably warm for the better part of the weekend, the back patio was open with a tarp over it and you could really hear the rain pounding down as you ate. Kinda added to the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious Caprese salad and basil filled ravioli. Also took several tastes of my friends fetucinni with pesto. Both were delcious but luckily, I favored mine! The bread was tasty and crusty and the butter was the sweet and almost cheesey in flavor - like you can find in Europe. Delicious.....!

Address: 246 10th Avenue

Directions: In Chelsea

Phone: 212 206 6766

Rating: 5

Theme: Italian

Meat..... - New York City

Meat.....

Village Yokocho: Japanese Tapas - fun, yummy and different Village Yokocho Review

This is a fun little spot where you can order all sorts of small dishes (tapas) of all sorts of things like dumplings, meat skewars, and exotic things like chicken hearts and other animal parts that you might not find so appealling.

Favorite Dish: Weirdest thing we ordered were Quail eggs. We also had a dumplings made with pork meat and wasabi, tofu in a delicious sauce, a variety of meat skewars, edamame and a scary sashimi over rice with some sort of warm sauce over it that looked....well, I'll just stick with the word "scary". Neither of us would try it!

However, everything else was delicious and we washed it all down with Saki.

Address: 8 Stuyvesant St

Phone: (212) 598-3041

Theme: Japanese/Sushi

• Updated Aug 7, 2007
I'm having fun, can't you tell? - New York City

I'm having fun, can't you tell?

Pio Pio: Great food - blurry photos! Pio Pio Review

I'd never had Peruvian food before so I was happy as I always am to try something new and Pio Pio did not dissappoint. The atmosphere was fun and hopping and the food was tasty. What more could you want?

Favorite Dish: I had the Camarones Picante which means spicy shrimp. They were served in a tasty and moderately spicy sauce plentiful enough to also soak the cous-cous which was prepared with a leafy green vegetable and a little goat cheese. Bryan had the roast chicken which is the house speciality and we split the avocado salad. Yummers...

Address: 702 Amsterdam Ave

Directions: Upper West Side

Phone: 212-665-3000

Price: US$11-20

• Updated Aug 6, 2007
Lovely presentation, huh? - New York City

Lovely presentation, huh?

Haru: YAY....Sushi! Haru Sushi Review

My two friends that I travelled to NYC with don't eat seafood. So....imagine my surprise when they agreed to go to a Japanese place! Okay, the trip was supposed to be about me (Birthday) so there you go.

I liked this spot. I love Sushi and their menu had some innovative combinations which I really enjoyed trying.

Favorite Dish: I had a House Tempura Roll as an appetizer which was made with Eel, Shrimp and Salmon. For an entree I had the Titanic roll. It had Salmon, Avocado and Caviar and was gorgeous to look at as well as delicious!

The warm Saki was a treat too.

Address: 220 Park Ave S

• Updated Dec 30, 2006
Platanitos.... - New York City

Platanitos....

Flor de Mayo: Try the Shrimps Flor de Mayo Review

Flor de Mayo is a Cuban/Chinese place. The night I went it was bustling, busy and loud! In fact, it may be the loudest restaurant I've ever been in. That being said, you now know that this is not the spot for an intimate romantic dinner. This is the kind of place you go to when you're hungry for generous portions ethnic food served quickly!

Favorite Dish: Unlike my friends, I opted to try order a Chinese dish, Kung Pao Shrimp or as they called it "Kung Po Shrimps". I thought they were great and thoroughly enjoyed them. I also ate most of the order of Mofongo that was ordered as a side dish. It was good but truthfully, I've had better.

My friends, on the other hand, went for the Cuban food and were dissappointed. The Arroz con Pollo was mainly arroz (rice) and the fried chicken was described as "KFC" that was mainly fatty pieces.

One of the guys sitting next to me was eating yellow rice and something made primarily with red beans which looked pretty good. I'm not sure if I'd ever eat here again. My Chinese dish was great but I doubt that their Cuban dishes could be as good as my mom's. But then again, whose could?

Address: 484 Amsterdam Ave

Price Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Upper West Side

Phone: (212) 787-3388

Price: US$11-20

Rating: 3

• Written Nov 13, 2006

garridogal Was Born Here!

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City