Boston Restaurant Tips by garridogal Top 5 Page for this destination

Boston Restaurants: 698 reviews and 736 photos

- Boston
Sam's at Louis: Absolutely loved it!!!

Went here for a birthday/pre-museum visit brunch. I can sum up my feelings simply by saying that I loved it. The food, the room, and the service are all outstanding.

First of all, I must say that it was not an easy place to find. And searching on the waterfront on a grey, cold, and damp morning was not the best. Plus, they need not just better signage but just signage! I guess there's a valet parking sign that wasn't there when we arrived and didn't realize that the restaurant is inside a very industrial looking warehouse structure where you can only tell that Louis is. Luckily, we were able to ask someone who pointed us in the right direction.

Favorite Dish: It's a good thing we did find the place. The restaurant is in a window-covered room which faces the water and gets tons of natural light. The staff is friendly and the service is prompt. There was no waiting for anything.

The best part, however, is the food. It was hard to select an item from the brunch menu because everything looked absolutely wonderful. I finally settled on an English Muffin with crab meat, fried eggs, and an amazing sauce. It was absolutely wonderful. My friends both had the hash and raved about it as well. Then, we split the coconut crepes. They were so good that I didn't mind the strawberry compote they're served it. (I don't like strawberries...)

Anyway, would love to return during warm weather and sit on their deck as the sun sets....

Address: 60 Northern Avenue

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Right across from the ICA. Go down sleeper, make a left and look for the warehouse that says Louis.

Phone: 617.295.0191

Website: http://samsatlouis.com/

• Written Dec 8, 2013
Lunch with some of my co-workers - Boston

Lunch with some of my co-workers

The Mission: Good Local Eatery

Located in my work neighborhood, The Mission is always good for a tasty lunch. And it's always hopping too since it's one of the few "nice" places in an area busy with hospitals and schools. What I mean by "nice" is that this is not one of the various fast and/or ethnic food places whose food is wonderful but whose service and ambiance are casual. It looks like an English pub, rich in dark wood and brass fixtures. They use large windows that open, and mirrors to optimize the look of a pretty small spot.

Favorite Dish: I've had their Greek salad a few times, topped with either chicken or salmon. It's lovely and tasty. I've also had their sandwiches and enjoyed them - especially the vegetable panini. I might also add that The Mission has a hopping bar scene but I've never checked it out. I generally try to get out of this neighborhood as soon as work is out.

Address: 724 Huntington Avenue,

Website: http://www.themissionbar.com/

• Updated Jul 16, 2012
Nightly special October 6, 2011 - Boston

Nightly special October 6, 2011

Casa Romero: Que Autentico!

Casa Romero is nestled right at the beginning of an alley off Gloucester Street. From its carved wooden door and inside to a tile, terra-cotta, and ceramic world, it speaks "Mexico" without screaming it.

It's been around for years and continues to get rave reviews and it's about to get another one. If you try it, you'll know why.

Favorite Dish: We started with some fresh and delicious guacamole and Margaritas. Is there any other way? Then, because Casa Romero offers so much more than the average Mexican fare, we all enjoyed some original cuisine. I had the nightly special with haddock stuffed with mushrooms and spinach, with a fantastic sauce and served with jumbo shrimp. What's not to like about that?

For dessert we split The Postre de Tres Leches and a Beso de Coco. The postre had a cheesecake-like consistency and was soaked in brandy. The beso was like a coconut flan topped with pineapple.

We were happy.

• Updated Oct 7, 2011
Da grill - Boston

Da grill

The Ashmont Grill: Great food and atmosphere

After hearing about how great this place is, for years by one of my friends, she treated me to dinner there for my birthday. I now know why she's raved about it. It's the perfect combinaton of great decor, atmosphere, and food. From the moment you walk in, you can smell the yummy grilled goodies which is just the thing to prepare you for a great meal.

Favorite Dish: We split a calamari dish that was almost like a seviche. However, the veggies were cut into much larger pieces and, of coure, the calamari was cooked.

I had the Grilled Marinated Chicken Paillard which came with spring vegetable, frisee salad, pickled ramps, and crispy tortillas. It was delicious. My friend had a crusted and grilled tuna from the specials menu. She raved about it.

For dessert we shared a piece of the famous carrot cake. If you taste it, you'll know why it's famous!

Address: 555 Talbot Ave. Dorchester

Comparison: about average

Directions: Located in Peabody Square at the intersection of Dorchester Ave, Ashmont Street and Talbot Ave. just north of the Ashmont T stop. And, across from a fabulous floating head sculpture.

Phone: 617.825.4300

Theme: Other

Website: http://ashmontgrill.com/

• Written Sep 22, 2011
Refreshing and effective - Boston

Refreshing and effective

Jerry Remy's Seaport: Nicer than Average Sports bar

Met a friend here for a bachelorette/bachelor type of get-together. I don't normally go to sports bars because I am so not a sports person. So I was pleasantly surprised at Jerry Remy's Seaport. It has a lovely deck on the water and huge open doors also facing the water. Unfortunately, our table while outdoor, wasn't on the water front deck. But it was still lovely to feel the sea breeze from where we were.

Favorite Dish: I was pleasantly surprised by their menu options too. They have the usual sandwich/burger style fare and they also had a lovely stuffed avocado salad. It's made with organic produce and has some chicken salad, nuts, and green apples. There was lots of good stuff there!

Oh and the cocktails were tasty too!

Address: 250 Northern Ave

Directions: Right by the Seaport Hotel and World Trade Center

Phone: 617.737.7647

Price: US$11-20

Theme: Pub/Brewery

Website: http://www.jerryremysseaport.com/

• Updated Aug 15, 2011
Let the tapa noshing begin! - Boston

Let the tapa noshing begin!

Estragon: Tapas y Pinxtos y Vino, oh MY!!

I went to Estragon recently to have a reunion with the lovely ladies that I went to Spain with last year. It seemed a fitting setting for just such an occasion. And it did not disappoint. Sure, tapas here are never as good as they are in Spain, but some places come closer than others. Estragon is one of those places! It's decor is modern and eclectic, instead of trying too hard to look Spanish like you'll find at some spots. There's also outdoor seating which is a nice thing!

Favorite Dish: Let's see if I can remember all that we had. There was a cheese plate, fish balls (not the greatest thing I've tasted, but not bad either, canopes of bread with sardines and goat cheese w/tomatoes and oil, etc., chorizo (I could've so eaten more of this!), croquettes (never as tasty as those found in Spain), a salad with toasted goat cheese, and OF COURSE vino (we got the last bottle of a lovely organic temperanillo), and for dessert, lovely bread pudding and flan. Well OF COURSE we got flan!

I can't speak for everyone else but I was in a food coma when I got home.

Address: 700 Harrison Ave

Comparison: about average

Directions: Off W Brookline Ave AND the #10 bus can get you there!

Phone: 617 266 0443

Price: US$31-40

Theme: Eclectic/International

Website: http://www.estragontapas.com/

• Written Aug 14, 2011
Girly Brunch! - Boston

Girly Brunch!

Sel de la Terre: Lovely Brunch in a Schwanky Setting

I had lunch with my co-workers at the waterfront location during the summer and although it was basic eggs 'n bacon fare, it was very tasty and well prepared.

For my friend's birthday we took her to the new Back Bay location - within the new Mandarin Oriental Hotel - and it was fabulous. The decor lovely, the service is wonderful and we sat right by a window and watched it snow as we ate.

Favorite Dish: The food was wonderful. I had poached eggs with Serrano Ham, served on a corn muffin. It was really good. My friends had the mushroom omelet and the steak frittes. Those were wonderful too. (We had to share in order to fully experience the restaurant!)

And then we all shared the creme brulee for dessert. Lovely... : )

Address: 774 Boylston Street

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Within the schwanky Mandarin Oriental Hotel and right next to Lord & Taylor

Phone: 617 266 8800

Theme: French

So pretty! - Boston

So pretty!

Z Square Cafe: Lovely Lunch in a lovely Park

About six months ago I had a few hours to kill in Boston so I grabbed a snack and parked myself here, which at the time was still The Milk Street cafe which it has been for years. I really can't remember what I had at the time but what I do remember was how great it was to be able to sit outside at Post Office Square which really has to be one Boston's most beautiful parks.

Well, I was back in that neck of the woods today shopping and when I decided to stop for lunch I went back to the same spot. However, it now houses the Z Square Cafe and everything I saw looked delicious.

Favorite Dish: I had a Mediterranean tuna salad sandwich on some crusty and delicious whole grain bread. It was really tasty. I know I ate more than I was hungry for so that's always a good sign, huh?

If you're visiting Boston be sure to check out Post Office Square. It's beautiful, got plenty of seating areas and they even have cushions for you to use if you want to sit on the lawn!

Address: Post Office Square

Directions: Financial District, close to waterfront and Quincy Market

Phone: 617.728.0101

Price: less than US$10

Hungry? - Boston

Hungry?

Pizzeria Regina: PIZZA PIZZA! Pizzeria Regina Review

When I first moved up to Boston I would hear talk of this place. However, I worked right by Faneul Hall and had only tasted the pizza from the Pizzeria Regina there. I'm from New York so I know good pizza and thought Bostonians were nuts for liking that stuff.

I'm not sure if those chain restaurants still even exist. I hope not because this is the real deal. If you're in Boston, go to the North End, get in line if you have to (we did!) and get a pizza here.

The place is old, crampt and the single stall bathroom makes airplane johns look luxurious but the pizza's what you're there for. It's good.....

Address: 11 1/2 Thacher St., Boston, MA

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: North End; Also a location in Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

Price: less than US$10

Theme: Italian

The gang - Boston

The gang

Rustic Kitchen: Delicious Food in a beautiful setting

I had a wonderful birthday lunch here a couple of years ago. So when planning a birthday brunch for a good friend, I suggested it. This restaurant is huge and has several rooms; there are two main dining rooms, a function room, an atrium and one where individual cooking demonstrations are held.

There's a fire burning in the main room in an in-wall oven, the colors throughout the restaurant are all rich and the lighting fixtures are all very original. You can feel so comfortable here that you might stay for several hours like we did!

The brunch menu also has lunch items and everything is reasonably priced. Bet I got your attention now, huh?

Favorite Dish: The last time I was here I had a wonderful and huge burger. This time around I had the Eggs Benedict and they were just delicious and perfectly cooked. Served with a side salad and potatos cooked with peppers, the portion size was perfect.

Address: 210 Stuart Street

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Park Square area, near the theater district.

Phone: (617) 423-5700

Website: http://www.rustickitchen.biz/

• Updated Dec 1, 2008

garridogal Lives Here!

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Badges & Stats in Boston