Amsterdam Restaurant Tips by garridogal

Amsterdam Restaurants: 1,145 reviews and 1,237 photos

"Bring on the Gambas! - Amsterdam

"Bring on the Gambas!

La Pata Negra: Tapas on the Rembrandplein Pata Negra Review

This place is pretty authentically Spanish with the hams hanging from the ceiling, the graffitti scratched onto the walls and the busy/crowded/noisy environment. The food was really good too although to be really authentically Spanish, some of it needed to be saltier.

Favorite Dish: We had tapas of all kinds. Chorizo, Gambas al Ajillo, Jamon Serrano, Queso Manchego, Pollo al Ajillo, Championes and..... I forget what else, all washed down with Sangria and red wine.

Ooh, and we also had dessert. I had a Crema Catalana which is basically (and here's good knowledge to have in case you ever go to Spain) Creme Brulee!

Address: Utrechtsestraat 124

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.pata-negra.nl/

• Updated Feb 3, 2009
How's my lipstick looking? - Amsterdam

How's my lipstick looking?

Stout!: Tasty sandwiches in a funky space Stout Review

I really liked this place. It's got a split level set up. On the main floor where you walk in, is a counter and some seating area. The kitchen and bathrooms are on the lower level and the upper level has more seating, funky photos and big windows so you can check out the wonderful city of Amsterdam while eating.

Must mention one thing, however. The mirrors over the sinks are up so high that all I could see in it was the top of my head. How's a girl supposed to fix her lipstick there???

By the way, according to Babelfish "stout" means "naughty" in Dutch.

Favorite Dish: I had a tuna melt which was really tasty as they used some cheese that's way more interesting than Cheddar. They also have these huge and tasty brownies on the counter, right by the door, that I'll bet gets them lots of "post coffeeshop" business!

Address: Haarlemmerstraat 73

Phone: 020 - 616 36 64

Price: US$11-20

Rating: 4

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.restaurantstout.nl

• Updated Apr 12, 2007
Menu decisions can be so difficult - Amsterdam

Menu decisions can be so difficult

One of these...: Pub Grub on the Leidseplein Hoopman Review

We had lunch and beers at one of the restarant/bars that have outdoor tables on the Leidseplein. I'm not sure which one of these restauarants it was as there are so many on there and at some of the tables, they'll bring you various menus to choose one. Ours was a basic Irish place with pub grub and a menu that wouldn't be unfamiliar to any American, loaded with burgers, sandwiches and yes, even Guac.

Favorite Dish: I had baguette with ham and cheese that was fine. I really wished I'd gotten a cheeseburger instead as did most of the others I was with and they looked pretty good. I really enjoyed the french fries or frittes which I dipped in Mayonnaise the way the Dutch do. It was an indulgent lunch - I never eat fries! But hey, I was on vacation!

Address: Leidseplein

Comparison: about average

Directions: Right on the Leidseplein!

Price: US$11-20

Rating: 3

Theme: Pub/Brewery

Website: http://www.hoopman.nl/

• Updated Oct 13, 2006
Bad Driburger.  'nuff said - Amsterdam

Bad Driburger. 'nuff said

The Garlic Queen: Good food. Funny Water. Garlic Queen Review

On my first night in Amsterdam my fabulous friends, Brian and Jeroen, took me to The Garlic Queen, in the Gay section. The food was great, the waiter was gorgeous and after over 24 hours w/out sleep, 2 cosmos and a shared bottle of wine, the name on this bottle "Bad Driburger" just killed me! So, naturally I took a picture of it!

Favorite Dish: This restaurant's speciality is garlic - hence the name. You can get a roasted garlic to spread on bread but I passed on that as I had that at the Stinking Rose in San Francisco years ago and still remember waking up the next morning, feeling like a human garlic clove. I had a Ceasar Salad and the Gambas which are shrimp cooked ala Spaniards. It was delicious.

Address: Reguliersdwarsstraat 27

Phone: 20 4226426

Rating: 5

Theme: Eclectic/International

Website: http://www.garlicqueen.nl/

• Updated Oct 5, 2006
I dare you to resist.... - Amsterdam

I dare you to resist....

Gary's Muffins: Great little breakfast place Gary's Deli (Muffins) Review

You could miss this place or pass it by and not give it try because it's basically a Hole in the Wall. However, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip Gary's Muffins on the Prinsengracht. You have to walk down around 5 or 6 kinda rickety stairs to go in, but do! They have the most delicious Lattes and a really good selection of bagels, muffins and sinfully huge cinnamon buns. In a word, yum!

Favorite Dish: The cinnamon buns are huge and glazed and they'll happily heat them up for you.

Address: Prinsengracht 454

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Off the Leidsestraat

Price: less than US$10

Rating: 5

Theme: Breakfast

• Updated Apr 20, 2005

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

Have you been to Amsterdam?

Latest Activity in Amsterdam