Amsterdam Restaurant Tips by garridogal
Amsterdam Restaurants: 1,138 reviews and 1,226 photos
"Bring on the Gambas!
This place is pretty authentically Spanish with the hams hanging from the ceiling, the graffitti scratched onto the walls and the busy/crowded/noisy environment. The food was really good too although to be really authentically Spanish, some of it needed to be saltier.
Favorite Dish: We had tapas of all kinds. Chorizo, Gambas al Ajillo, Jamon Serrano, Queso Manchego, Pollo al Ajillo, Championes and..... I forget what else, all washed down with Sangria and red wine.
Ooh, and we also had dessert. I had a Crema Catalana which is basically (and here's good knowledge to have in case you ever go to Spain) Creme Brulee!
Address: Utrechtsestraat 124
Comparison: about average
Directions: Right off the Rembrandtplein
Phone: (020) 422 62 50
How's my lipstick looking?
I really liked this place. It's got a split level set up. On the main floor where you walk in, is a counter and some seating area. The kitchen and bathrooms are on the lower level and the upper level has more seating, funky photos and big windows so you can check out the wonderful city of Amsterdam while eating.
Must mention one thing, however. The mirrors over the sinks are up so high that all I could see in it was the top of my head. How's a girl supposed to fix her lipstick there???
By the way, according to Babelfish "stout" means "naughty" in Dutch.
Favorite Dish: I had a tuna melt which was really tasty as they used some cheese that's way more interesting than Cheddar. They also have these huge and tasty brownies on the counter, right by the door, that I'll bet gets them lots of "post coffeeshop" business!
Address: Haarlemmerstraat 73
Comparison: about average
Phone: 020 - 616 36 64
Menu decisions can be so difficult
We had lunch and beers at one of the restarant/bars that have outdoor tables on the Leidseplein. I'm not sure which one of these restauarants it was as there are so many on there and at some of the tables, they'll bring you various menus to choose one. Ours was a basic Irish place with pub grub and a menu that wouldn't be unfamiliar to any American, loaded with burgers, sandwiches and yes, even Guac.
Favorite Dish: I had baguette with ham and cheese that was fine. I really wished I'd gotten a cheeseburger instead as did most of the others I was with and they looked pretty good. I really enjoyed the french fries or frittes which I dipped in Mayonnaise the way the Dutch do. It was an indulgent lunch - I never eat fries! But hey, I was on vacation!
Comparison: about average
Directions: Right on the Leidseplein!
Bad Driburger. 'nuff said
On my first night in Amsterdam my fabulous friends, Brian and Jeroen, took me to The Garlic Queen, in the Gay section. The food was great, the waiter was gorgeous and after over 24 hours w/out sleep, 2 cosmos and a shared bottle of wine, the name on this bottle "Bad Driburger" just killed me! So, naturally I took a picture of it!
Favorite Dish: This restaurant's speciality is garlic - hence the name. You can get a roasted garlic to spread on bread but I passed on that as I had that at the Stinking Rose in San Francisco years ago and still remember waking up the next morning, feeling like a human garlic clove. I had a Ceasar Salad and the Gambas which are shrimp cooked ala Spaniards. It was delicious.
Address: Reguliersdwarsstraat 27
Phone: 20 4226426
I dare you to resist....
You could miss this place or pass it by and not give it try because it's basically a Hole in the Wall. However, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip Gary's Muffins on the Prinsengracht. You have to walk down around 5 or 6 kinda rickety stairs to go in, but do! They have the most delicious Lattes and a really good selection of bagels, muffins and sinfully huge cinnamon buns. In a word, yum!
Favorite Dish: The cinnamon buns are huge and glazed and they'll happily heat them up for you.
Address: Prinsengracht 454
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Off the Leidsestraat
Price: less than US$10
More Reviews (30)
- See All Isn't this the cutest building?
- The Pharmacist is in
- See All I guess you could say we had fun in here
- See All Pre Dinner Drinks
- See All Ah... the joy of Flowers!
garridogal's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 35 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Technical Help Forum ""
- Commented on one of dustmon's Amsterdam travel pages
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "An afternoon on the Leidseplein - Sept '06"
- Uploaded a Photo to "An afternoon on the Leidseplein - Sept '06"
- Wrote a Review Isn't this the cutest building? about Architecture in Amsterdam Favorites
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 78 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 46 reviews, 143 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 126 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 35 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caribbean and Central America Intro, 31 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Martha's Vineyard Intro, 23 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 37 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 20 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brookline Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do