Leiden Shopping Tips by garridogal Top 5 Page for this destination

Leiden Shopping: 47 reviews and 73 photos

Oooooh BEADS!!!! - Leiden

Oooooh BEADS!!!!

Kraal & Co.: Beads!

This is a small little yet adorable shop on the Nieuw Rijn. Walked in with a friend on a Saturday afternoon and we each picked out some beads so I could make us some souvenirs of Leiden after we went back to the U.S.

I don't recommend going into this store on a Saturday afternoon when everybody and their sister is out and about shopping. As I said, it's teeny and could cause you to feel acute claustrophobia.....

Phone: 071 5149482

Theme: Hobbies

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Who loves shopping? - Leiden

Who loves shopping?

Around the city center: Saturday is Markt Day!

Although I think that maybe on another day of the week (Weds) the market stalls are out, Saturday the big day. The day when the streets get so crowded with shoppers that you can almost feel overwhelmed - especially if you've just gotten off a train from Germany!

This was the introduction to Leiden that my friend, Bryan, got. After getting settled in to our freinds' place we hit the streets and the market area. Between being back in Leiden and being in the midst of all that, I know I was feeling a little bit of sensory overload!

What to buy: Stroopwaffles, clogs and cheese.....what else?

Seriously, you can buy a little of everything at the market. Aside from what's mentioned above, you can also buy fish, meat, nuts, olive, jewelry, clothing..............all sorts of things!

Address: The Nieuw Rijn city center area

Theme: Other

• Updated Jun 24, 2007
All decked out for Rembrandt - Leiden

All decked out for Rembrandt

V & D: Shopping at the VD store

The best part of this store chain is it's initials. They stand for Vroom & Dreesmann, but I prefer to call it "that VD store". Not that the store is bad...I bought a fun tank top and pair of beaded slippers that caused me to wipe out on those infamously scary Dutch steps!

You can get all sorts of good things there aside from clothes, like candy, baked goods, cheese and CD's among other things. Everything is reasonably priced. The one in Leiden also has an cafe with outdoor seating.

Directions: It's right in the center of town. Can't miss it!

Theme: Department Store

Website: http://www.vd.nl/home.asp

• Updated Oct 28, 2006
Who are you? - Leiden

Who are you?

Have no idea!: Love this store!

I guess the Dutch just love Mexican Oil cloth and fun, kitschy and colorful items. This store is like a mini Kitsch Kitchen and when I was in Leiden the last time, I walked by it when it was already closed and I remember really wanting to go in! Well, I wasted no time this time around and hit it on my first day and got a fun pink oilcloth bag. Also picked up some fun ornaments.

I walked by it several times this time around but couldn't figure out what the name is as it has no large obvious sign. I did see some signage on the door, in Dutch, but I have no idea what they meant!

Address: Burgsteeg?

Directions: It's on Burgsteeg, right around the corner from the Hooglandsekerk, down the street from the main entrance to the Burcht and it's street intersects the Nieuwe Rijn. If you can find this street, you can find this shop!

Theme: Other

• Updated Oct 4, 2006
Sample the vino - Leiden

Sample the vino

Sligro: It's like Costco only classier

I love going food shopping while overseas. I think it's a good and unique way to get to know how natives of a country live. Sligro is a bulk shopping chain that requires membership and you can buy giant portions of food, cases of alcohol and household supplies, etc.

As you can see, we found lots of goodies there!

Theme: Discount Store

Website: http://www.sligro.nl/

• Written Oct 1, 2006
I shop therefore I am - Leiden

I shop therefore I am

Haarlemmerstraat: Great shopping street!

My friends in Leiden live just one block from this fun and busy shopping street which has just anything you'd need and somethings you might not! Haarlemerstraat has department stores like H&M, Bakeries, Drug Stores, Cafes, Music stores, Candy Store and the ever popular Pattaken Frittes joints!

What to buy: I regret not having bought the fuzzy house slippers that were shaped like clogs. I could be tripping (literally) all over my apartment in them right now!

Address: Haarlemmerstraat

Directions: Right by the Oude Rijn

Theme: Department Store

• Updated Oct 22, 2005

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Badges & Stats in Leiden