"Paris, I've finally returned!" Paris by garridogal

Paris Travel Guide: 22,631 reviews and 55,568 photos

Rediscovering a jewel

My sister got married in Madrid in 1981. The day after the ceremony, my cousin and I took off on a train to spend three days in Paris before spending a week at her place in Barcelona while she and her husband went on their honeymoon.

My memory of that trip is two crazy girls having fun and a lot of laughs. We went to the top of Eiffel, saw the Jeu de Paume and went dancing at an "Anti Disco" in the Latin Quarter.

I knew that Paris had so much more to offer and told myself that I would someday return. Okay, so it took 28 years...

Taking time for what's important

When a good friend told me that she'd be spending a month studying in this fabulous city I took it as a sign and heeded its call! It would also be a wonderful opportunity to spend more time with her than I had since she moved to Florida years ago. I started tracking airfares and when I found a good deal on Iceland Air I booked it.

This time around I saw all the sites that, since 1981, I've come to realize are of importance to me. The spent a lot of time with Michelle and my wonderful friends from Holland who came down for the weekend. However, I also spent some time exploring on my own.

However, Paris in June.... you're never really alone!

The fabulosity factor

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm one of the handful of people who will admit to loving Sophia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette". Part of the appeal is that it was filmed at Versailles. After repeated viewings of this movie I had dreamed of visiting this amazing palace.

I'm happy to report that I got to see it as well.

• Pros:Beauty everywhere you look
  • Cons:Tourists everywhere you look! (At least in June...)
  • In a nutshell:Once again, I want to return!
  • Last visit to Paris: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 12, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2014 at 3:37 AM

I'm glad to see that you have been adding updates and new tips to this lovely page.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
      Mar 6, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Thanks. Just wish the updates could be as the result of another trip. Oh well, maybe some day!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
      Mar 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Thanks! Only wish it was because of a follow-up trip there!

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Great Paris page, you seemed to have summed Paris up very well. I would like to re-visit Paris again some day.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Yeah, gotta watch those pickpockets in Paris, they took 40 euros from me.....Oh Wait! That was the French railway officials because I had the wrong ticket! Ah well, same thing really, theives praying on unsuspecting tourists ;)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Joann, I just love your humor! We visited France in the Fall of 2009, too, but in a different area, Eze and St. Remy in Provence---like yours, it was a second glance, our first being over 30 years ago.

• Jan 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Joanne, your Paris travelogue is Fabuleux! Very impressive! --Susan P.S. I did read it before my trip but didn't have time to leave a comment then :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Hi, Joann, thanks for your page here! ><><>< You have great memories!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Great that you finally went back to Paris after such a long absence!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Great tips Joanne. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I'll be back in Paris for the fourth time in six weeks time. Can't wait.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Never thot to do Catacombs in P., but probably hvg done the Mummies in Guanajuato satisfies THAT! But DO wish we could hv gone to top of E.Tower, however, it was EASTER and NO WAY Jose'!

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 6:17 AM

I actually just got back the other day, it was quite gorgeous there. My page is a serious work in progress though - it'll take a few days to get it sorted out.

garridogal

“Tourists don't know where they've been. Travelers don't know where they're going. - Paul Theroux”

Badges & Stats in Paris