"Don't discount the town" Port Hedland by Dxenion
Port Hedland Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 26 photos
People come here thinking its a tourist town - it isn't. Iron ore production is the primary reason for the existance of this place. Port Hedland became the highest exporter of Iron Ore in the world in 2005. Other minerals are mined here too including manganese and salt.
The town is set up around the mining industry so you wont find the usual touristy things when you come here. What you will find is a town full of down-to-earth friendly people who will do what they can to help you - if you give them a chance.
Alot of people from the north west region of WA come here to retire. The weather's pretty good, the fishing is great and the lifestyle is laid back. It doesn't have the hype of Broome (6 1/2 hrs north) or the amenities of Karratha (2 hrs south) but it's isolation and lack of tourism is it's drawcard. If you want to experience real outback hospitality without the thrills, Port Hedland is the place.
There are a couple of tourist type things you can do. You can get information from the tourist information centre in the main street about the iron ore ship movements in the port and also some local knowledge on the best fishing spots. You can also climb the tower for a small fee and you'll get an awesome view of the whole area. If you're lucky, the centre may be able to arrange a visit to the shipping tower by the Port. It's normally a restricted area but they may let a few people in to show them the workings inside the Port area.
Despite BHP Billiton's best efforts, the town is constantly covered in pink iron ore dust. Even the pidgeons are pink!
- Pros:Down-to-earth locals that wont fleece you.
- Cons:Pink iron ore dust everywhere.
If you've got kids with you or are just looking for something different, go to the Cooke Point Beach after dark when the... more travel advice
Go to the Tourist Information Centre in the main street and they can organise a bus tour of the plant. I took someone... more travel advice
Dxenion's Related Pages
Port Hedland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hedland the hole!"
- "Don't discount the town"
- "Well, yeah Port Hedland??"
- "A Dive"
- "Port Hedland"
- "Tour up North from 03 - 16 of March"
- "Port Hedland - Karijini National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Hedland
- Hotels in Port Hedland
- Nightlife in Port Hedland
- Restaurants in Port Hedland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Hedland
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Port Hedland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Hedland
Photos in Port HedlandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Penang Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Port Hedland Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Phuket Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hahndorf Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butterworth Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Broome 1 review, 5 photos
- Geraldton 1 review, 5 photos
- Thailand 5 reviews
- Adelaide Intro, 4 reviews
- Canberra 3 reviews, 1 photo