"A neighbour of Penang that's worth checking out" Top 5 Page for this destination Butterworth by Dxenion
Butterworth Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 75 photos
Butterworth is just a ferry ride from Penang and is often overlooked by tourists. Yet that's exactly why you should come here.
It has all the Indian/ Chinese temples and Malay mosques that Penang has without the accompanying tourist stalls.
You'll find open air cafes and resturaunts without the tourist prices and the food is prepared how it should really be, not made bland for the international taste bud.
Butterworth is just another city where the locals work, live and play. If you want to see the 'real' middle class Malaysia, take the time to really explore this place.
I found the locals more keen to trade on electrical items here as the market price is set for locals, unlike Penang with tourist prices. The locals are more likely to tell you the off-the-beaten-path attractions most tourists may never even hear of.
Welcome to the unspoilt Malaysia.
Most buses in the Butterworth area travel to the ferry along the one main road. Learn the Malay word for Ferry 'feri"... more travel advice
Dxenion's Related Pages
Butterworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Butterworth (Bagan)"
- "A neighbour of Penang that's worth checking out"
- "Butterworth - A Transportation Hub"
- "Butterworth (Paak Hai)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Butterworth
- Transportation in Butterworth
- Restaurants in Butterworth
- Warnings and Dangers in Butterworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Butterworth
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Butterworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Butterworth
Photos in ButterworthSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Penang Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Port Hedland Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Phuket Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hahndorf Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butterworth Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Broome 1 review, 5 photos
- Geraldton 1 review, 5 photos
- Thailand 5 reviews
- Adelaide Intro, 4 reviews
- Canberra 3 reviews, 1 photo