"An amazing gem in SE Chicago!" Pullman by rmdw
Pullman Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 45 photos
Pullman is a small area in SE Chicago that has some beautifully restored houses dating from the 1880's.
The community was conceived and built by George Pullman, founder of the Pullman Palace Car Company.
He located his railway car factory there to avoid the high costs of land closer to downtown. So in 1880 he purchased about 4,000 acres of land just west of Lake Calumet, hired architect Solon Beman and landscape architect Nathan Barrett, and over the next 4 years built Pullman, the first planned model industrial town.
The centerpiece of the community is the beautifully ornate Hotel Florence, named after George Pullman's daughter. It was closed in Oct. 2000 for renovations but is periodically open for brief tours. As the tour guide told us, "If someone happens by while one of us is here then we'll definitely give them a tour!"
If you'd like to hear some music from the era, played right on the patio of the hotel then click here (Quicktime required)
Here's and old sign from the hotel, currently stored inside. At the moment only the main floor can be seen, but there are plans to completely renovate the 2nd floor. Fire regulations may prevent the 3rd & 4th floors from ever being used again.
The Hotel Florence is the centerpiece of Pullman. The establishment was namede for George Pullman's daughter, Florence.... more travel advice
rmdw's Related Pages
Pullman Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pullman
- Transportation in Pullman
- Warnings and Dangers in Pullman
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pullman
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pullman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pullman
Photos in PullmanSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 172 reviews, 287 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 80 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aguascalientes Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Estado de Zacatecas Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues