"Senegal" Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal by johnsakura

Senegal Travel Guide: 529 reviews and 1,223 photos

Senegal was a country I tried to enter once and couldnt due to document car problems, so my first failed attempt got stuck in my throat for a while until I went there to try again.
I went to Senegal in April 2004.
I went with my car all the way from Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania, and could give a wide trip on the country, exploring almost every single region of Senegal. As I entered The Gambia, I had to come back again to Senegal.

My traject in the country was:

Mauritania/Senegal border
Rosso, St. Louis, Richard Toll, Ndioum, Ouro Sogui, Bakel, Kidira, Mali Border, Tambacounda, Dar Salam, Tambacounda, Velingara
Senegal/The Gambia/Senegal border
Kaolack, Diourbel, Thies, Dakar, St. Louis, Rosso
Senegal/Mauritania border

River Senegal in Ndioum

The Senegal River is located in West Africa, covers 1.6% of the continent and spreads over four countries: Guinea, Mali, Senegal and Mauritania.
The sources of the Senegal River are located in Guinea and in the south-western part of Mali. This is a very important way of transportation, nd for centuries has been the fastest way of commercial trades along the countries that actually have it.
This picture was taken near Ndioum village after Ndiayene. This was one of my most beautiful sunsets ever.

National Park Niokolo Koba

Parc National de Niokolo Koba is one of the few places in Senegal that belong to the UNESCO programme for World Heritage.
The park is open during the dry season and this is the best time to visit it cos you can apreciate animal near water courses and all.

You can go to the park with a small veicule but for the majority of tracks inside it, you need a 4WD car or just going there with the traucks given by the park for payed excursions.

There are many large species of animal: buffalos, hartebeeste, shaggy Defassa waterbuck, bushbuck, antilope harnache or guib, warthogs, crocodiles and hippos; roan antelopem wetsern giant eland. and chimpazees. Some people say lions and elephants can be rarely be seen, although my guide told me its not true. Leopards can be seen a at least 3 types of baboons can be seen also:green, gray and red ass (hehe i dont know the name of this one so red ass) baboon. You have to pay to get in. If im not wrong, me along with 3 friends, a car and a payed guide all costed about 30euros. then we stayed in Simenti Hotel for 5 euros each in small bungalows near to the monkeys playground.

this page is currently under construction. I've already put many nice tips but I'll had more in the future. Thank You.

• Pros:Very nice people and friendly UNESCO sites
  • Cons:where is the so well known music everywhere?
  • In a nutshell:Great place to escape Mauritania and to see some wild animals
  • Last visit to Senegal: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2012

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Hi Joao, thought Id seen your page here already - and what a find to find I havent!so Ive enjoyed your tips and wonderful people photos today!.......now this is a return visit - nice to see yr tips and pics again. such a long drive.from Morocco but still hoping to drive down one day!

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Hello Joao, Nice pages. Thank you very much and happy new year to you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• doma's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM

dont take the bus! thei usually are (were in 2005)in a very bad condition an often have accidents and breakdowns

• Oct 7, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Heart warming pictures of The people of Senegal. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Superhans's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Wonderful page, really informed me about a country of which i know little. Tanks.

• jose_a_juan's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 2:13 PM

hola joao p. very nice people pic. thanks.

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 4:29 PM

hm,if heard other funky stories too about crossing borders in africa relying on a laid back border patrol...i should try one of those tricks:)thanks for the tips

• lamentforicarus's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 10:27 PM

Fantastic page and pictures! Senegal is high on my list of places to visit.

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 4:57 PM

An excellent page and amazing photos especially of the people.

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2005 at 5:38 PM

beautiful people photos! (both the people and the photos)

johnsakura

“Straight forward please...”

Badges & Stats in Senegal

Have you been to Senegal?

Latest Activity in Senegal