"Senegal" Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal by johnsakura
Senegal Travel Guide: 637 reviews and 1,680 photos
Senegal was a country I tried to enter once and couldnt due to document car problems, so my first failed attempt got stuck in my throat for a while until I went there to try again.
I went to Senegal in April 2004.
I went with my car all the way from Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania, and could give a wide trip on the country, exploring almost every single region of Senegal. As I entered The Gambia, I had to come back again to Senegal.
My traject in the country was:
Rosso, St. Louis, Richard Toll, Ndioum, Ouro Sogui, Bakel, Kidira, Mali Border, Tambacounda, Dar Salam, Tambacounda, Velingara
Senegal/The Gambia/Senegal border
Kaolack, Diourbel, Thies, Dakar, St. Louis, Rosso
The Senegal River is located in West Africa, covers 1.6% of the continent and spreads over four countries: Guinea, Mali, Senegal and Mauritania.
The sources of the Senegal River are located in Guinea and in the south-western part of Mali. This is a very important way of transportation, nd for centuries has been the fastest way of commercial trades along the countries that actually have it.
This picture was taken near Ndioum village after Ndiayene. This was one of my most beautiful sunsets ever.
Parc National de Niokolo Koba is one of the few places in Senegal that belong to the UNESCO programme for World Heritage.
The park is open during the dry season and this is the best time to visit it cos you can apreciate animal near water courses and all.
You can go to the park with a small veicule but for the majority of tracks inside it, you need a 4WD car or just going there with the traucks given by the park for payed excursions.
There are many large species of animal: buffalos, hartebeeste, shaggy Defassa waterbuck, bushbuck, antilope harnache or guib, warthogs, crocodiles and hippos; roan antelopem wetsern giant eland. and chimpazees. Some people say lions and elephants can be rarely be seen, although my guide told me its not true. Leopards can be seen a at least 3 types of baboons can be seen also:green, gray and red ass (hehe i dont know the name of this one so red ass) baboon. You have to pay to get in. If im not wrong, me along with 3 friends, a car and a payed guide all costed about 30euros. then we stayed in Simenti Hotel for 5 euros each in small bungalows near to the monkeys playground.
this page is currently under construction. I've already put many nice tips but I'll had more in the future. Thank You.
- Pros:Very nice people and friendly UNESCO sites
- Cons:where is the so well known music everywhere?
- In a nutshell:Great place to escape Mauritania and to see some wild animals
Senegal has some of West Africa's best food, giving opportunities for everything from serious food to dining on the... more travel advice
This is well known to be the worst place to enter Senegal. From all border passages, the border here in Rosso is quite... more travel advice
- See All Camping for free in Niokolo Koba
- See All Weird brigdes in Niokolo Koba,...
- See All Goree Island by night
- See All Potatoes and Onions on the road
johnsakura's Related Pages
Senegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit with a cause: in progress!"
- "Salaam Aleikum"
- "Saagar's Senegal pages"
- "St. Louis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Senegal
- Hotels in Senegal
- Transportation in Senegal
- Nightlife in Senegal
- Restaurants in Senegal
- Shopping in Senegal
- Warnings and Dangers in Senegal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Senegal
- 103 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Senegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Senegal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues