Morocco Tourist Trap Tips by johnsakura Top 5 Page for this destination

Morocco Tourist Traps: 112 reviews and 69 photos

morocco - Morocco

morocco

Comissions

remember that usualy if someone offers himself to take you to a hotel or shop and sometimes even restaurants, that is normal the hotel or shop to rise the price a bit to give the guy a small commission. some times not but the majority of times yes.

Unique Suggestions: hear the directoins of the place you want to go and then go buy yourself. you can also ask for the menu and the price list of hotels which they have to have written on paper.

Fun Alternatives: (please dont associate the guy on the picture with someone bad ok? haha, just needed a pic of a moroccan from the desert. this one is in fact my friend. but we will try to do the same to you guys and get some money for living...

• Updated Oct 3, 2004
morocco - Morocco

morocco

Vegetarians watch out!

Eating meat fat against will in Marrakesh Spring 2003, May

I've been vegetarian for almost eleven years and I always try to explain people why I don't want to eat it. Although I know Morocco is not a must in terms of vegetarianism, I didn't really have any kind of problems when it comes to table matters. So there I was in Hotel Ali Marrakesh, one of the most well know hotels near the Jmaa ElFna Square. I asked for a vegetarian Tagine and I explained that I would like to wait for a while until they prepare one from the scratch not to have the ingredients from normal one and with that lamb fat in it. They said ok ok don't worry, don't worry. I said almost twenty time NO ANIMAL FAT! they brought it and after I ate a bit I acrually found a piece of lamb fat inside. They said my american friend Eric have put it inside for me not to pay the dish!!!! And I said I wouldn't pay for it, no way. They grabed me more than once and wanted to pressure me saying they would call the police and I said OK OK call the police and I'll tell them how you tricked me! They grabbed my bags and I had to push one of them. I went away. Bad thing to see, It was not a matter of 3 euros, but a matter of trusting and giving costumers what they really want.

Unique Suggestions: go away dont pay

Fun Alternatives: call the police and say you were robbed. police wil be in your side!

• Written Oct 3, 2004
marrakesh morocco - Morocco

marrakesh morocco

Night train to Marrakesh

Arriving in Morocco for the first time Spring 2000, May,
went alone and this was one of my big first trips all by myself. I got the bus from Evora to Algeciras that took about 12 hours, took the ferry boat to Tagier and got into Morocco about 10pm. As soon as I got out of the ferry station I had dozens of men picking my hand to put me into a cab to take me to the train station all saying that the last train down South was about to leave and that I should go with them fast. Ok number one: and I can say that now after some experiece, yes there's a last train to Marrakesh that leaves 10:30pm it sometimes changes due to seasons I think, they'll try to trick you to stay in Tangier. Many people say there's no more trains down South just for you to stay in Tangier. Many people I met stayed in Tangier beacause of that! Go to the train station and ask! only after you decide if you go or not. I got myself into a small peugeot 205 and the guy just put my bag on top of the car which got me a little bit worried about it getting stolen and all. I got into the train station and bought the ticket to Fes. Got into the train and freezed. Amazing spetacle, many many women illegaly transporting illegal products on their skirts inside the train. So those big fat ladies were in fact normal ones stuffed with illegal products that has just arrived from Spain. I was a bit scared and when i went to the bathroom i asked this two australian girls where was it in fact. They poited me the bathroom and when came they just said hey do you want to sit here please (they were scared all right!) I did. Changed my plans to to to Fes and went to Marrakesh. Got stuck with Ivette and Charmain and had a wonderful time after. I had to pay more to change the ticket to Marrakesh.

Unique Suggestions: You actually have to push yourself to the people cos the first response I had from the ticket man was, No way you can change your ticket, you have to go to Fes. I said no no please i pay more!Magic words... PAY MORE. no more words needed.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Oct 3, 2004
erfoud merzouga sahara merzouga dunes - Morocco

erfoud merzouga sahara merzouga dunes

Sahara's first entrance? How?

Erfoud Sahara's entrance is the last city before the desert if you come from Errachidia.
Erfoud is in the Tafilelt. This region used to be the most important place of departure for the cross saharan caravans. From the city of Sijilmassa, which is not far from Erfoud, they would leave for Ghana and Tombouctou. In the 14-th century the Genoans or GNAWA had an embassy here.

This is the place tourist usualy are stuck and have no idea how to enter de desert or how to drive into de desert and find the dunes of Merzouga. There are hundreds of guides wondering around the town trying to find lost tourists in order to take them to their friends hotels and get some comission money about the fact of taking you there. There are many guides that are on the town and that will follow you on their bikes asking you for hotel or Merzouga.

Unique Suggestions: negociate with the guides if you fell you need one. the price of someone taking you to a hotel on the dunes hsouldnt cost more than 80/100/150 DH. if you think you need!

Fun Alternatives: You can go to Merzouga Dunes alone! You just have to drive until Rissani and from there take the road to Merzouga which is asfalt all the way. You dont have to enter the desert from Erfoud road which is very messy and will definately ruin your car. Even local with 4x4 will not take this one.
You have asfalt right to the village of merzouga.

this road after rissani (be careful because the sign after the end of Rissani has the name Merzouga erased by some locals in order to get tourists lost and consuued, on the end of the way when you see this road sign with a name erased, just keep straight, dont turn left.
after a while you will see lots of sign of hotels in the dunes. you can either go to the dunes or drive in the asfalt all the way to Merzouga village.

On the picture you can see the sign after Rissani, maybe about 10km from the city. You can turn left and enter deseert track and foloow the white marks on the floor. From here you are already able to see the dunes.

(You can click on the links to go direct to the pages on Merzouga, Erfoud or Rissani)

• Updated Sep 26, 2004

johnsakura Used To Live Here!

johnsakura

“Straight forward please...”

Badges & Stats in Morocco

Have you been to Morocco?

Latest Activity in Morocco