"Mauritania - The Land of the Moors" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania by johnsakura
Mauritania Travel Guide: 682 reviews and 3,309 photos
Mauritania is for many people on the list of the most dramatic country of West Africa and one of the few ones remaining with a medieval lifestyle. 3/4 of the country is inside the Sahara Desert and you'll find sand all over, all over the city streets and after a while, all over you..
Besides many of good things about the country, there are other that will make your stay not so pleasent: poverty, opportunisms, racial conflicts, garbage and worldwide mafia.
I entered Mauritania 4 times already and made the following routes:
January 2004 (I went out to Morocco spend a few days in Dakhla and came back down to NDB):
March/April 2004 1st entrance:
April 2004 (2nd entrance after I came back from Senegal and Gambia):
Cansado Bay and its Ship cemetery
Bir Moghrein Northen Border with Morocco and Algeria
Terjit Water Spring Oasis
Zouerat the town of the Iron Mountains
Fderik military outpost
Banc D'Arguin National Park-UNESCO World Heritage
Chinguetti-UNESCO World Heritage
El Manghar-Fishermen's village in Banc D'Arguin National Park
Rosso and Diawling National Park-Senegalese border
Region of Inchiri
Region de Tiris Zemmour
Region of Dakhlet Nouadhibou and Cap Blanc
Region de Trarza
Region de Adrar
Mauritania is an independent republic which lies mainly in the Sahara Desert belt on the on the bulge of Africa and forms part of the West African Region. The capital city and major port is Nouakchott. Other major towns are Kaedi and Zouerate and the port of Nouadhibou.
The official languages are French and Arabic. The local currency is the Ouguiya (UM).
At the present time there are no clear-cut rules on visas to Mauritania. But French, Italians, and West Africans can enter without one. Everyone else will have to experience a system not too accustomed with issuing visas. Applying is best done from home, but can theoretically be done in all embassies (which are few, and only in large countries, and in Mauritania's neighbouring countries). Time used for issuing, price, rules of calculating price (per entry, or per days in the country), validity of the visa, are decided just as much on your charm as on your nationality. Either the way you can enter with a 50 euros bank note if you go by land. Policemen always try to get something out of you. So also expect to pay for your car to enter or go out.
Almost all my info on my Mauritanian pages was taken from the internet on which I want to report I've taken the info from. I'm very thankful on the people that made my research possible. It's possible that I've used that info and put it exaclty like it was on the original site and some I?ve changed to my better compreension.
Sites I've taken info from:
We got permission and headed to Gueltat Zemmour with army 4x4 on the front of us. Due to much sand also in this part (no... more travel advice
Fortress on the border with Western Sahara -> “Le Mure” NO Man’s LAND. BE careful be careful be careful. mines,... more travel advice
- See All Don't bring dollars
- Senegalese restaurants
- See All Menata-Nouakchott
- See All Bir Moghrein
johnsakura's Related Pages
Mauritania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauritania - The Land of the Moors"
- "Looking for Gaia"
- "MAURITANIAN ADVENTURES"
- "Salaam! Yakhe Lebass!"
- "My trip to Mauritania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritania
- Hotels in Mauritania
- Transportation in Mauritania
- Nightlife in Mauritania
- Restaurants in Mauritania
- Shopping in Mauritania
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritania
- 499 Reviews
- 769 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Mauritania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritania
- updated a Mauritania Travel Page "Mauritania - The Land of the Moors"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Caucasian Challenge -..."
- Wrote a Review Gueltat Zemmour ->To Layoune in Mauritania Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gueltat Zemmour ->To Layoune"
- Commented on one of danielperals's Mauritania travel pages
Photos in MauritaniaSee All Photos (769)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues