"Mauritania - The Land of the Moors" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania by johnsakura

Mauritania Travel Guide: 647 reviews and 1,989 photos

Mauritania is for many people on the list of the most dramatic country of West Africa and one of the few ones remaining with a medieval lifestyle. 3/4 of the country is inside the Sahara Desert and you'll find sand all over, all over the city streets and after a while, all over you..
Besides many of good things about the country, there are other that will make your stay not so pleasent: poverty, opportunisms, racial conflicts, garbage and worldwide mafia.

I entered Mauritania 4 times already and made the following routes:
December 2003
El Mamghar
Rosso
January 2004 (I went out to Morocco spend a few days in Dakhla and came back down to NDB):
March/April 2004 1st entrance:
Fderik
Zouerat
Touajil
Bir Moghrein

Mauritania is an independent republic which lies mainly in the Sahara Desert belt on the on the bulge of Africa and forms part of the West African Region. The capital city and major port is Nouakchott. Other major towns are Kaedi and Zouerate and the port of Nouadhibou.

The official languages are French and Arabic. The local currency is the Ouguiya (UM).

At the present time there are no clear-cut rules on visas to Mauritania. But French, Italians, and West Africans can enter without one. Everyone else will have to experience a system not too accustomed with issuing visas. Applying is best done from home, but can theoretically be done in all embassies (which are few, and only in large countries, and in Mauritania's neighbouring countries). Time used for issuing, price, rules of calculating price (per entry, or per days in the country), validity of the visa, are decided just as much on your charm as on your nationality. Either the way you can enter with a 50 euros bank note if you go by land. Policemen always try to get something out of you. So also expect to pay for your car to enter or go out.

Almost all my info on my Mauritanian pages was taken from the internet on which I want to report I've taken the info from. I'm very thankful on the people that made my research possible. It's possible that I've used that info and put it exaclty like it was on the original site and some I?ve changed to my better compreension.

Sites I've taken info from:

• Last visit to Mauritania: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2007

• doma's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Since 2005 exists a paved road from Nouadhibou to Nouakchott. the train connects Nouadhibou-Choum-Zouerate In 2007 there were also coaches for public transport from Nouadhibou to Nouakchott and back

• desert_princess's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM

the only thing I associate Mauritania is those big colorful beads made of glass, with small flowers in all the colors. They were quite expensive , I remember , as I never got one...

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 7:27 PM

interesting perspective on an interesting country:)

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 4:59 PM

A wonderful page on a off the beaten path destination.

• Jul 1, 2005 at 3:37 PM

wow...

• Feb 10, 2005 at 8:50 PM

uff, im even tired of reading...it seems a very hard country this one! hope to get there next winter 05! bye

• bruingirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2004 at 6:26 PM

I just started reading your info on Mauritania....very useful! My younger bro is going there for the next year so I'm trying to read up on this country that no one seems to know! :)

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2004 at 12:40 PM

Interesting and informative page !! Thanks, I will go there next month, so I will read your Mauritanian pages again.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 8:24 PM

Very helpful information. I am really interested in visiting one day - a good friend is currently living there. You have given me a great insight.

• Jun 14, 2004 at 12:35 PM

It was pleasure your very well written pages with some really great tips n pics. Keep up the good work. Greetings from Islamabad...

johnsakura

“Straight forward please...”

Badges & Stats in Mauritania

Have you been to Mauritania?