"Uzbekistan-The Silk Road Wonder" Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan by johnsakura
Uzbekistan Travel Guide: 1,836 reviews and 6,378 photos
Uzbekistan is a wonderful place to visit in Central Asia. In terms of historical sites, this is by fact the richest country in the entire region. This country holds a very important place in the emblematic Silk Road and both Samarkand and Bukhara are a must while visiting it. Uzbekistan sees itself as the most important country in the former Soviet Central Asian republics and along with its Big Boss, President Islam Karimov makes a very strong hand over the country politics and civilian laws.
Uzbekistan suffered several incursions by several different empires starting to make part of some old Persian regions, On the 4th century BC, Alexander the Great came and actually married in Samarkand with a girl named Roxana. After came a small contact with Buddhim in the Kushan dynasty and again a small and brief return of Persian power under the Sassanians. Ater the Western Turks that came down from the northern steps, came Islam with the Arabs on the 8th century but who didn?t stay for long. Persian power came back again for the 3rd time now with the Samanid dynasty in the 9th and 10th century which turned Bukhara the capital of the empire. The Great Genghis Khan came to destroy late in the 13th century. Was only after all this that Uzbekistan came to be central in the region and due to the Timur empire became a very important outpost for the huge route of the Silk Road. In the late 18th century the country started its first contacts with Russia and since then became more and more in the hands of the Lords from the North.
Apart of the well known South historical cities, there are a lot to be seen and explored to the North heading Fergana Valey. Little lakes, and big mountains are very nice to visit on the Northern part of the country.
Samarkand is inside everyone imaginary to be distant, exotic and full of poetic mystery.
This city already held a important place in the region and is in fact one of the oldest Central Asia settlements coming as far as the 5th century BC. Alexander the Great arrived in 329BC and said that the city Marakanda?s was even better then he actually thought. Samarkand became capital of Timur Empire in 1370 was during 37 years a huge and important economic and cultural centre. All its present day historical monuments are by the hand of himself Timur, his grandson Ulugbek and the Uzbek Shaybanids.
On the picture you have the magestic registan Square.
This amazing small monument is called "Char Minar" because it has 4 minarets is located in Bukhara city. This little monument taken in 1998 by UNESCO to be recovered was in fact a gate of a ancient madrassa long time gone. It was built in 1809 and has more contact with Indian Art styles than t o local art itself.
Its name comes from Tajik although the towers you can see are not actually minarets but simply decorative towers.
- Pros:Nice historic monuments, Bukhara, Registan Square Samarkand
- Cons:Political situation on the country
- In a nutshell:Great Silk Road Experience
You can be overcharged in prices in hostels and shops. If you are patiee and be calm, aks for lower prices and you... more travel advice
Before you go down the stairs in the subway you have to be checked by the police. you have to pass a metal detector and... more travel advice
- See All Chirchik River
- See All Uzbekistan Map
- See All Suicide bombs
- See All Markets
- See All National Puppet Theatre Bukhara
johnsakura's Related Pages
Uzbekistan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Uzbekistan - the crossroads of time"
- "Uzbekistan-The Silk Road Wonder"
- "Uzbekistan, young country, old history."
- "On the ancient Silk Road"
- "Uzbekistan, many good memories"
- "Uzbekistan ? visit, smell, touch, look and marvel"
- "NOW READY FOR TOURISM"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uzbekistan
- Hotels in Uzbekistan
- Transportation in Uzbekistan
- Nightlife in Uzbekistan
- Restaurants in Uzbekistan
- Shopping in Uzbekistan
- Warnings and Dangers in Uzbekistan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uzbekistan
- 63 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Uzbekistan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uzbekistan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues