"Augustow" Augustow by johnsakura
Augustow Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 54 photos
Augustow is a small town in the North of Poland that stands on the emblematic Via Baltic that runs all the way from Warszawa to Tallinn. Augustow is just 32 from the northern town of Suwalki and around 250km from Warszawa.
Augustow looks like any other northeastern polish city on the fat that it looks that everyone just forgot about them long time ago. They are peaceful and nothing much is hapening often. But, this is just my first impression. Actually this town has a quite interesting history and many places to visit in its suroundings.
Augustow is situated between the Necko and Bia³e lakes and on the Netta river. The settlement was founded by the initiative of Zygmunt August that after received the town´s rights around 1557.
On the picture above its the Augustow Museum located on the way out of the city heading north to Suwalki.
These are the points with interest you have to visit in town:
-"Pr¹dzyñski Manor-house" XIX century
-classical water mill
-Old Post Office 1829
-Eclectic church 1906-11
-PTTK Hostel ("Hetman" hotel) 1939
-Wojskowy Dom Wypoczynkowy 1935
-"President Villas" 1928
This is the front facade of the church in Augustow . Around it theres this little garden well taken care actually and all seems in the right lace and all. The church is opened from 9am to 1pm.
To get here you can go from the main town centre and turn left walk about 5 minutes and you´ll see on your right side.
This is a really empty town centre. Nothing much going on and apart from this garden on the centre nothing else exists there, I mean of course there are surrounding buildings, but this is not one of the typical polish cities with those old square centres. This one has only some restaurants and shops in basic new buildings. This is though, a very relaxed place to walk after some hours driving from the south.
Centre town garden located on the center square of Augustow. there is nothing much going on during the day but Friday... more travel advice
Check out this wensite for more information on buses to/from Augustow. Bus schedules more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Augustow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the forrest north-east Poland"
- "Augustow - city between lakes and channels"
- "Green city"
- "Teaching English in Augustow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augustow
- Hotels in Augustow
- Transportation in Augustow
- Restaurants in Augustow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augustow
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Augustow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augustow
Photos in AugustowSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues