"Tetovo" Top 5 Page for this destination Tetovo by johnsakura
Tetovo Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 139 photos
I went to Tetovo to see The Monastery of Lesok in the mountains. Only in town i discovered that no one can go there du e to military activisty regarding protection agains the still existing rebels from the mountains (kosovars).
People respected others a lot, they are quite nice people.
The only place I felt a bit more like a stranger was in the muslim part (albanian part) of town and my friends were really scared of wlaking in those parts actually. they were like ok ok please dont lok at them or lets go fast here, or ut's maybe better not to go that way...
I saw many militar trucks on the streets and some tanks from the UN forces.
this picture is from the mountains where the monastery is located. you can see amilitar truck passing by.
Population: 180,654 (1991)
Area: sq km 1,080
Tetovo is a town lying at the foothills of the Sar Mountains, where ethnic Macedonians, Albanians, Turks and Romanies live together side by side. The town has a well-developed textile and clothing industry and a massive plant for the production of chromium and ferrosilicon. The comparative advantages of the Polog valley have been well used for the development of agriþculture, especially market-gardening and fruit growing.
Tetovo is a quaint and a lovely town, whose broad streets twist between ample konaks and green luxuriant gardens irrigated by numerous streams. Everywhere the textures and colours detain the eye: the choppy ripple of russet tiles, the rough flakiness of outer walls topped by peaked roofs and set with grilled apertures and studded door, rutted streets duned with ochreous dust, the scraped pinks and jean blue of house walls and shutters... Tetovo is a tobacco town, and in late summer when the crop is picked the women crouch in rows on the verandas, in the wine-eaved shadows, to grade and string the leaves on wires. Sometimes the whole family gets down to it. As each wire is completed, it is strung in a wooden frame. In August and September the whole town is decorated with garlands of tobacco festooned at he edges of streets, on frames leaning against walls and strung in row upon row, along the sides of houses like the shirred silk curtains of Venetian palaces.
The Monastery of Lesok with the churches of St. Atanas and of the Holy Virgin, from the 14th century, is situated near Tetovo. In honour of the educator Kiril Pejcinov, this monastery hosts an International Meeting of Literature Translator's. Tetovo is also the host to the Festival of Macedonian Choirs.
- Pros:nice people
- Cons:i could fell fear on the streets, people are scared...
well i ate pizza for a change. hehe some oter food was available. some local dishes, but all with meat. more travel advice
Its a must if you're interested in art. you can see studios of many painters, both professional and amateur. more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Tetovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tetova-my town!"
- "The SEE University in Tetovo"
- "Gentiana's new Tetovo page"
- "P0ZITIVA's new Tetovo page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tetovo
- Hotels in Tetovo
- Transportation in Tetovo
- Nightlife in Tetovo
- Restaurants in Tetovo
- Warnings and Dangers in Tetovo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tetovo
- 23 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Tetovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tetovo
Photos in TetovoSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues