"Bachkovo Monastery" Bachkovo by johnsakura
Bachkovo Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 40 photos
Second only to Rila Monastery in national significance, Bachkovo dates from 1083 when it was established by Grigori Bakuriyani, a high-ranking Georgian in the Byzantine administration. At the end of his life he wanted to exonerate his sins and so he had this monastery built. He himself stipulated in the code of ethics (kept in the monastery museum) that "a man of Byzantine descent not be accepted as a monk here." Over the centuries the monastery has been ruined and rebuilt several times; only the eleventh century ossuary is original. The latter, a two-story building, is 200 meters cast of the monastery; on the second floor is a mural depicting Tsar Ivan Alexander and his wife, and another of the monastery's founder and his brother. In the refectory, the dining room table consists of a large marfale slab. Underneath the wall and ceiling plaster researchers have found portraits of philosophers Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Diogenes and Aristophanes.
In the museum (formerly the kitchen) there is a sabre which belonged to crusader Fridrich Barbarosa and icons by Zahari Zograph and his followers. The Zograph mural in St Nicola church (dating from 1850) depicts the Apocalypse and is one of the most interesting examples of Bulgarian revival art. It features realistic portraits of highly-placed contemporary figures in full dress as well as sinners in the nude awaiting judgment. On the same wall, Zograph drew a portrait of himself standing alongside the head abbot of the monastery.
the monastery is 39km from Plovdiv.
The Bachkovo Monastery was founded in the 11th century. Its architectural, artistic and cultural significance is... more travel advice
One of the oldest monasteries in the Bulgarian lands, it rises in the picturesque Chaya river valley, 29 km south of... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Bachkovo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "second biggest monastery in Bulgaria"
- "Bachkovo Monastery"
- "Bachkovo-the monastery."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bachkovo
- Transportation in Bachkovo
- Restaurants in Bachkovo
- Shopping in Bachkovo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bachkovo
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bachkovo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bachkovo
Photos in BachkovoSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues