"Aviz" Aviz by johnsakura
Aviz Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 44 photos
The Castilian order of the Knights of Calatrava assisted in driving the Moors from Portugal and in 1166 settled at Evora. Alfonso II granted (1211) them Aviz, and this branch of the order became separate and was known as the Order of Aviz, a strictly Portuguese organization. The knights played an important part in Portuguese history. After the death of Ferdinand I in 1383, his illegitimate brother, John, who was master of the Order of Aviz, led a revolution to prevent the crown from going to Beatriz of Castile. He himself became king as John I. Thus the house of Aviz was established on the throne. It was the most distinguished of Portuguese dynasties, reigning until 1580, when Portugal passed for a time under Spanish rule until 1640). Aviz is sometimes spelled Avis.
In small little places like this town of Aviz, where theres not much to do, images will make you like the place.
Surrounded by the water barrage of Maranhao, makes a wondeful scenery of a hill with a castle walls fortified city from the 13th century.
On the amazing landscapes of the Alentejo, this town that stands on top of a hill will definitly be one of your hot spots of Alentejo.
Like many of the small towns in the region and a bit all around Portugal itself, churches are one of the most numerous visiting buildings you'll see. This church is from 1839.
This little old friend here made me stay with him at least 10 minutes petting him. Well if you have nothing else to so... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Aviz Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Aviz
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Aviz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aviz
Photos in AvizSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues