"Santiago do Escoural" Escoural by johnsakura
Escoural Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 47 photos
Santiago do Escoural is a small town 30 minutes from Evora. On the road you're always passing the Wine Rote of the Aletejo which spread all around thiese areas that have kms and kms of vinyards. Although and for what I've notice, this part here doesn´t quite live from Wine. The major industries here are fire wood and Cork, which you can see on the road that it is just by looking to the huge piles of cork on the fields.
Well, the town is small, ofcourse, remeber you're in the countryside of Evora which already is the countryside of the country right?
You have very well painted houses all over the town, a main church which still gives "missa" to people. Its now has a very important archaeological centre which come from the line of the near by Caves of Escoural. Its a museum where you can see the evulution of men setlements in pre-historical times in the region.
This cave is made from a natural cavity formed in granite installed on a wide zone of limestone. The entry is right on the lowest part of the cave from where you can pass and see the drawings and engravements as soon as you reach its quick walk from the door to the first painting on the cave's wall.
The first settlement goes back to the Middle Palaeolithic, when groups of Neanderthal hunters-gatherers used the cave as a temporary shelter as a base for their main activity: the hunting for large animals such as the aurochs During the Upper Palaeolithic (35 000 - 8 000 BC) the cave was used as a rupestrian sanctuary for anatomically modern people.
It was the posterior group of setlers, after the Neolithic period (5 000 - 3 000 BC) that used the limestone walls on the outside to engrave several schematic motifs and stylised animal figures. Its quite an experience to go there and watch them live.
help thankfuly taken from:http://www.ippar.pt/english/monumentos/sitio_escoural.html
Main street scene. Very nice contrast between house and sky. Remember this is in begining February. Nice weather for a... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Escoural Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Escoural
- Transportation in Escoural
- Restaurants in Escoural
- Shopping in Escoural
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Escoural
- 39 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Escoural?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Escoural
Photos in EscouralSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues