"Liberalitas Julia vs Yeborah" Top 5 Page for this destination Évora by johnsakura
Évora Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,380 photos
Évora's 150 km south east of Lisbon. Its historical centre, protected by a vast ring of fortified walls, is typical of ''golden age'' cities, with its urban landscape exhibiting features from the architecture of countries in other continents where Portugal established a presence, particularly Brazil.
If you want to discover the amazing city inside the Roman castle walls, you should really start your journey where all the city's narrow streets end (hehehe almost), i'm talking about the Praça do Giraldo, main square. You may then visit some of the most important monuments in the city's history: the Roman Temple (2nd century AD), the Cathedral (12th-13th centuries), the Convento dos Lóios (a 15th-century monastery), the churches of São Francisco (15th-16th centuries)and its Bone Chapel, going to Nossa Senhora da Graça church(16th century), Largo das Portas de Moura (the square where the great humanist Garcia de Resende lived) and Évora University (founded in the 16th century). In a nutshell, almost every single art style existed in Western civilization can be seen in the city's architecture...just amazing I say...wonderful to live in a place like this.
Liberalitas Julia to Yeborah
The city has more than two millennia of history, its narrow streets evoking memories of the Moorish presence, conquered by the Romans in 59 BC, it took the name of “Liberalitas Julia”.
Under the occupation of the Romans, Évora gained great importance as a city, a fact which is clearly borne out by the various remains from that period that are still visible today, There are very few remains left from the Visigothic period (between the 5th and the 8th century). After this came the period of Moorish domination, beginning with the conquest of the city by Tarik, which lasted until the Christian reconquest in the twelfth century. Yeborah, as the city became known, perfected its early defensive system and indelibly established traces of the Moorish influence in its toponymy, clearly visible in the Moorish quarter.
The city was chosen by several kings of Portugal in the first and second dynasties to serve as the headquarters for their court, and it was greatly enriched with palaces and monuments, especially in the reigns of D. João II and D. Manuel I (15th and 16th centuries).
As the years pass I just feel more attached to this type of life. The way the street look like, and the lamps look at night. The way the Cathedral stands up for the white landscape all across the city walls. Just amazing to be inside a living castle day by day.
- In a nutshell:Museum City, World Heritage since 1986
There are some vegetarian dishes on this general food restaurant. you have food from alentejo and also food for... more travel advice
This shop is on of the most special places in Evora concerning you have a unique regional handicraft with a great... more travel advice
- See All Lisbon to Evora by train
- See All Convento da Cartuxa
- See All Enchanted Palace Room 3
- See All Alçude
- See All Pedro Calhau painting exhibit
johnsakura's Related Pages
Évora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liberalitas Julia vs Yeborah"
- "a great excursion from Lisbon"
- "Evora - A UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "A MUST see if you are in Portugal!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Évora
- Hotels in Évora
- Transportation in Évora
- Nightlife in Évora
- Restaurants in Évora
- Shopping in Évora
- Warnings and Dangers in Évora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Évora
- 275 Reviews
- 314 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 62 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Évora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Évora
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (97)
Latest Évora hotel reviews
- Albergaria Do Calvario
- 585 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- M'AR De AR Muralhas
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Pensao Residencial Policarpo
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Pousada Dos Loios de Evora
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Dom Fernando
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Solar Monfalim Evora
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Convento Do Espinheiro Heritage Hotel & Spa
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Pousada de Juventude
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2012
- Evora Hotel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Albergaria Vitoria
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 3, 2013