"Evoramonte, Portugal" Évora Monte by johnsakura
Évora Monte Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
Magical place to view Alentejo's landscape.
Evoramonte is more or less 25km from Evora.
Implanted on one of the higher points of the Serra da Ossa (Ossa mountain), the Évoramonte Castle dates back to the 12th century, when the place was conquered from the Moors by Geraldo Sem Pavor (Fearless Geraldo). In the 13th century, it was granted its first royal charter (1248), subsequently renewed in 1271. Both these attempts to populate the place were unsuccessful. King Dinis, in 1306 ordered the fortification of the town, remaining both the walled belt and the gates from this building campaign.
After King John I ascended the throne, the Castle was offered to Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira. During the reconstruction works, in the reign of King Manuel I (who granted the renewal of the charter in 1516) a palace was built, the famous Paço Fortificado (Fortified Palace), with four circular turrets defining a quadrangular perimeter, of eminent Italian influence, and walls decorated with stone knots which confer it a particular flavour. This palatial campaign is ascribed to the lead of the architects Diogo and Francisco de Arruda.
Over the recent centuries, the town lost its power and importance and, on October 24th, 1855, its Municipality was extinct, its former territory having been shared by the adjacent Municipalities of Estremoz, Évora, Arraiolos and Redondo. The first restoration works occurred in the 30's and 40's of the 20th century, and a global recovery project was accomplished in the 80's.
Old man resting while wainting for transportation. New part of city. more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Évora Monte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Evora Monte"
- "Monte Evora - Portugal"
- "Evoramonte, Portugal"
- "A view of a tourist just passing by"
- "Évora Monte"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Évora Monte
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Évora Monte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Évora Monte
Photos in Évora MonteSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues