"Monsaraz" Top 5 Page for this destination Monsaraz by johnsakura
Monsaraz Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 262 photos
Perched above the River Guardiana on the frontier with Spain, the tiny medieval walled town of Monsaraz is one of the most atmospheric places in the Alentejo. With its narrow cobbled lanes, low-rise old houses and an imposing castle, visitors are offered a feel of medieval Portugal in one of the oldest places in the country.
Monsaraz has been inhabited since prehistoric times as the Celts, Romans, Visigoths and Moors each took full advantage of the hill's defensive potential. Regained from the Moors in 1167, the town was handed over to the Knights Templar before Dom Dinis added the castle and fortified walls in the 14th century. From the ramparts you can gaze east over the Guadiana to neighbouring Spain, or west across the great plains of the Alentejo.
What to see. The parish church of Santa Maria do Castelo houses an ornate marble tomb dating from the 13th century. Next door is a religious museum containing a 14th-century fresco of a judge being simultaneously tempted by the devil and encouraged by the majestic justice of Christ.
A number of interesting prehistoric monuments exist in the surrounding areas of Monsaraz, including the spectacular Menhir of Outeiro which stands almost 6 metres tall.
2nd Count of Monsaraz. Graduated from the Law Faculty at Coimbra University. As a militant monarchist and founding... more travel advice
The Jewish quarter was in the immediate vicinity of the Rua Direita, close to the Igreja de Santiago original layout of'... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Monsaraz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our First Mountain-top Village"
- "Monsaraz - Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monsaraz
- Hotels in Monsaraz
- Transportation in Monsaraz
- Restaurants in Monsaraz
- Shopping in Monsaraz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monsaraz
- 35 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Monsaraz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monsaraz
Photos in MonsarazSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues