"Portel" Portel by johnsakura
Portel Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 96 photos
With a castle and royal charter dating from the 13th century, Portel has lived from its agriculture and livestock farming for the past centuries. You can yet notice that just by driving on the surrounding areas full of animals.The present inhabitants have inherited a number of valuable monuments dating from former times and enjoy an enviable geographical situation. the castle is situated right on top of a high hill. This town is very well known for its traditional soups and cheeses. Also good honey can be bought here.
Many streets in town look lovely like this one. You can still feel a very medieaval atmosphere walking around town. This street on the picture goes up to the castle.
421 metres high convent.
In 1500 already existed the Sao Pedro religious group, Saint Peter (Sao Pedro) was probably the Head Saint of Portel. The first building was build in the begining of the 1500's.
1624 - Construction of the second building or Church.
tip under construction. please come back later for more information. click here to go to my travelogue on Sao Pedro more travel advice
This tip is still under construction. please come back after for more updates on this tip. more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Portel Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Portel
- 44 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Portel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portel
Photos in PortelSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues