"Our Lady of the Thorn-bush Convent" Quinta do Espinheiro by johnsakura
Quinta do Espinheiro Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 78 photos
As many other monasteries and convents in Portugal, this building is now a private residence and cannot be visited. Altough in a maybe 2 years from now you'll be able to visit it and actually stay there as it is now being reconstructed to held a 5 start Luxury Hotel.
I decided to make a different page here in this one. I'm about to make you a tour guide in the monastery while it is being reconstructed. Notice that it's almost an impossible thing to see as its not alowed to get in.
I'll take you in, making the same way I made all inside the monastery. If you're curious to know how does an 15th century looks like before it is updated, here's the place to see it. I'll have all my tips by number. Either you'll be able to see from the beggining to end or the opposite way. This convent guide will be featured in Must See Activities (you can just click here and go directly there).
It was built in the 15th century by the Hieronymite monks and is reached by crossing a great vaulted courtyard. The 16th century cloister exhibits harmonius granite columns on the ground floor, and marble pillares on the second floor.
Our Lady of the Thorn-bush Convent
The Gothic church has a single nave. The main chapel and the chapel of the Dead Lord are lined with panels of tiles.
The tumular chapel of Garcia de Resende, built by the chronicler and poet?s order, stands within the enclosure of the Our Lady of the Thorn-bush Convent, near ?vora. It is a small chapel, preceded by a porch where the grave of Jorge de Resende, Garcia de Resende?s brother, lies.
Check my Off the beathen path tips as you'll be able to see lots of unkown pics you hardly could see ever.
Some info thankfuly taken from:
johnsakura's Related Pages
Quinta do Espinheiro Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Quinta do Espinheiro
- 75 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Quinta do Espinheiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quinta do Espinheiro
Photos in Quinta do EspinheiroSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues