"Sao Matias" São Matias by johnsakura
São Matias Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 19 photos
Ok...so, were should I start?
I can't really explain why does a place with 3 buildings comes on the map. Yes there only exist three buildings in Sao Matias. The name is given after the local church that you can see on the upper picture. Beside this construction there only exists a cemetery, a primary school from the 50's and a restaurant located in the same building has the church which is also odd to me. This place helds an anual memorial to the Saint Mathew or Sao Matias.
Why do they have a primary school here? I see no houses around. This place Sao Matias is located on the national road 114 that goes from Evora to Montemor-o-Novo and no houses are located nearby. For me this still remains a mistery.
This church dates from 1887 but people believe this is the date of the update of the church. Although people come every year to the memorial to the saint, the church remains in very bad shape. Church wall don't see paint for years and the roof does look dangerous to me.
johnsakura's Related Pages
São Matias Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in São Matias
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to São Matias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Matias
Photos in São MatiasSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues