"James Island" Fort James Island by johnsakura
Fort James Island Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 23 photos
Fort James is located on a mid-river Island called James Island of course. So this island is pretty much worth it not for the ruins of the anciant fort itself because is a bit ruined, but the big trees along with the protection canons, the pelicans and the amazing pirogue ride will make this trip unforgettable to you.
this Fort was constructed back in 1651 by order of the Duke of Courtland (now Latvia and Lithuania) strange isn't it?
This is the villages where you have to get in order to take the boat to the Island where Fort James is located.
In Juffureh you can see Kinte's compound and his birthplace (Knta Kinte). YES YES some people say its the birthplace of the fiction! Some people wonder why the whole story came from a family from here?!
This is an amazing experience. you can take the boat by discussing the price in Albreda to the captain. You can get a... more travel advice
The Fort was constructed in 1651 and re sized in 1661 by Britain when the Royal Adventurers Of England Trading Into... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Fort James Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Fort James Island
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Fort James Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort James Island
Photos in Fort James IslandSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues