"Georgetown or Janjanbureh" Georgetown by johnsakura
Georgetown Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 37 photos
The city was known in its colonial times as Georgetown. Only recently it has recovered its original name of Janjanbureh.
This city is located on the mainstream of the Gambia river on Janjanbureh Island know before as the MaCarthy Island.
To access the island its quite easy as there are ferries that connect the Island both to the southern arm and to the north bank part of the country. the southern arm is only 100m wide and its crossed by a hand pulled ferry.
The town is quite relaxed and people don't even try to make any confusion with you. You are more than welcome there, they dont try to make any profit out of you in shops (not in handicraft shops of course). altough some guides will try to convince you to make some tours on the island to see the monkeys and the hippos. they will try hard to convince you.
People are quite nice. All my experiences on the streets, the hotel and the shops were ok. On the port to take the ferry people were a bit wrong but its ok, they wanted me to go and see some place where slaves used to be kept and I said no and they wanted to push me or something saying the ferry would only leave in 1 hour and I had time. conclusion was that the ferry was about to leave of course.
This kid on the picture told me they had to buy a ball to play footbal and I gave them some money.
johnsakura's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Transportation in Georgetown
- Nightlife in Georgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 34 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Photos in GeorgetownSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues