"Georgetown or Janjanbureh" Georgetown by johnsakura

Georgetown Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 37 photos

The city was known in its colonial times as Georgetown. Only recently it has recovered its original name of Janjanbureh.
This city is located on the mainstream of the Gambia river on Janjanbureh Island know before as the MaCarthy Island.

The town

To access the island its quite easy as there are ferries that connect the Island both to the southern arm and to the north bank part of the country. the southern arm is only 100m wide and its crossed by a hand pulled ferry.
The town is quite relaxed and people don't even try to make any confusion with you. You are more than welcome there, they dont try to make any profit out of you in shops (not in handicraft shops of course). altough some guides will try to convince you to make some tours on the island to see the monkeys and the hippos. they will try hard to convince you.

The people

People are quite nice. All my experiences on the streets, the hotel and the shops were ok. On the port to take the ferry people were a bit wrong but its ok, they wanted me to go and see some place where slaves used to be kept and I said no and they wanted to push me or something saying the ferry would only leave in 1 hour and I had time. conclusion was that the ferry was about to leave of course.

This kid on the picture told me they had to buy a ball to play footbal and I gave them some money.

• Last visit to Georgetown: Apr 2004
  • Intro Written May 29, 2004

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 3:41 PM

Hi Joao. Thanks for checking out my homepage the other day. I'm going to Gambia (including Janjangbura) in January, so I just had to read this page. Thanks for the information.

• Bodwick's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 7:11 AM

The wire should be pulled by using the wooden stickes that are placed on the deck. The are about a foot long and have a chunk cut out that the wire fits through. Pull the wire using this and never touch wire rope with your hands.

• Feb 10, 2005 at 9:09 PM

Jul 17, 2004 at 12:45 PM

Mmmm, different.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2004 at 10:33 AM

Wonderful pictures !! I liked my visit to Georgtown.

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 2:04 PM

Amazing, simply amazing. Great pictures Joao!!! Congratulations!

• May 29, 2004 at 12:59 AM

fantastiK new photos Joao!

johnsakura

“Straight forward please...”

Badges & Stats in Georgetown

Have you been to Georgetown?

Latest Activity in Georgetown