"Wassu Stone Circles" Wassu by johnsakura
Wassu Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 19 photos
This is an important pre historic place in the Gambia, but of course no Stonehenge. This is a circle of stones that seems to date from 1300AD to 750AD by some analisys made to found carbon. It seems that vefore the stones were actually there, the place was sacred and used to make rituals and used like a buriel site.
This is the begining of the well know "Red Highway" in Gambia. The dirt is dark red, that along with the strong green of the surrounding vegetation create an astonishing view.
The road starts on the North Bank in Lamin Koto and goes all the way to Kerawan and Barra (port to get to Banjul the capital).
From the North Bank coming from Janjanbureh (aka Georgetown) there is about 20km of road.
The river Gambia separates the country in 2 different part, The North and South bank. Here on the picture you see the coast of Janjabureh or Georgetown. I got the boat (1000CFA) to Lamin Koto during the morning to head west to Banjul, passing Wassu, Kuntaur and Kerawan. All the way on the "Red Highway".
The river extends all the way to Senegal and Guine, and has only in Gambia almost 380km long.
To go to Wassu from Georgetown, you have at least 20km separating. Wassu is located abit after Kuntaur. You have to take... more travel advice
You can get to Wassu from Kuntaur by taxi, maybe paying about D200 round trip. Wassu is located 20km northwest from... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Wassu Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Wassu
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Wassu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wassu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues