"Ait Ben Haddou" Top 5 Page for this destination Ait Ben Haddou by johnsakura
Ait Ben Haddou Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 370 photos
Ait Ben Haddou, this top hill fortified village looks like a huge mud castle in some kind of Arabian fairy tail. It?s an amazing place to go and enjoy the fortified village on top of a hill, right on the bank of a river and the upper view from the top ruins are just something you will not forget, ever.
This fortified village is located on the way to the High Atlas and its one of the most well preserved Kasbahs of the region which gave it the title of UNESCO World Heritage. The village it self has grown a lot since the last couple of years, and I even saw that growth taking place. Lots of hotels and souvenirs shops were built on the other side of the river. You would be surprised of how many building actually were built in just 4 years. Anyway, at the other side of the river the fortified village stays intact, every time being reconstructed and having a better look as people take better care of the houses in order to preserve its historical aspect and with this get more tourist and make more money.
The village had a great reconstruction project which helped the rebuilt of some building in ruins and the age?s erosion and also aided the 5 families left living inside the Kasbahs; All this thankfully to UNESCO program.
I went to Ait Ben Haddou first in May 2000. The village was small and the buildings were almost restricted to the original oval in walls construction over the river. Hotels have grown like mushrooms. But of if you restrict your self to the old part of the village on the hill crossing the river you're not going to be disappointed. I got back to Ait Ben Haddou in April 2002, August 2002 and again in August 2003
This place can be seen on TV in movies like:
Jesus of Nazareth,
Lawrence of Arabia
Sodom and Gomorrah
The Gladiator with Kurt Russell
- Pros:The most well preserved and beautiful Kasbah in High Atlas Region
- Cons:People now ask for entrance money
- In a nutshell:Fantastic place to get a view of an old fortified village with amazing view to the Valley
info taken from their website: Dunes & Desert offers you the chance of having great moments in the most beautiful South... more travel advice
Now, for what I know of a bit of arabic, Ksar stands for fortified ccity or village and kasbah stands for one house... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Ait Ben Haddou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ait Ben Haddou"
- "Unesco World Heritage site Ait Ben Haddou"
- "My favorite place in Morocco"
- "Home of the Famous Kasbah"
- "Ait Ben Haddou"
- "Ait - Benhaddou"
- "Ait Benhaddou"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ait Ben Haddou
- Hotels in Ait Ben Haddou
- Transportation in Ait Ben Haddou
- Restaurants in Ait Ben Haddou
- Shopping in Ait Ben Haddou
- Warnings and Dangers in Ait Ben Haddou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ait Ben Haddou
- 17 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Ait Ben Haddou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ait Ben Haddou
Photos in Ait Ben HaddouSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues