"Berber Azrou" Azrou by johnsakura
Azrou Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 52 photos
Azrou is a very friendly Berber town situated 80 kilometer south of Fez. It’s a wonderful place to stop and relax when you can’t take anymore souks and hustlers. The town lies between steep wooded hills and a volcanic outcrop, at an altitude of 1200 meters. Thus, the town’s name comes from the Berber word, Azrou or"rock". Azrou has a tradition of weaving as it was an old market town of a nomadic people. Newly woven rugs and blankets can be found at the Tuesday souk or the Ensemble Artisanal. The town is famous for its green tiled roofs.
The region is exceptionally beautiful. The cedar forests, with its monkeys, is a great place to wander about. The cedar forests stretch south of Azrou for approximately 15 km, until you reach the volcanic cone called Jbel Hebri.. Nearby you can visit Le belvedere d'Ito at 15 km with great views over the mountains. The best time to go is in the morning. Bekrit is a small village about 49 km from Azrou. Close to the village lies the lake of Sidi Ali, a lovely body of water filled with fish. Other excursions include le Lac Afenouir, 21 km of bad roads in the direction of Midelt, and Mrirt, 32 km in the direction of Khenifra with a good market on Thursday.
The springs of the Oum R'biaa make for a great daytrip. At about 2 hours drive from Azrou, the springs are a fantastic place to relax. Eat lunch in one of the many straw huts at the base of a waterfall. This is a very unique and beautiful excursion worth the drive. Do be careful of the small children during the drive down, who play chicken with cars by running out into the road.
this is a local shop that sells dresses, djelabas and some other stuff. more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Azrou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berber Azrou"
- "Azrou Forest Trekking Bliss"
- "Berber town in the mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Azrou
- Hotels in Azrou
- Transportation in Azrou
- Restaurants in Azrou
- Shopping in Azrou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Azrou
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Azrou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Azrou
Photos in AzrouSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues