"Chefchaouene" Chefchaouene by johnsakura
Chefchaouene Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 283 photos
Welcome to my page on this wonderful city in the North part of Morocco, sitting at the foot of the Rif Mountains. I have been here many times already and actually had a bad VT page about it. Now I decided to improve it and wish that you can enjoy better photos and acurate information.
Im starting to build this page, so I will add pictures first and after I will make the text. Thank you.
While speaking with locals and searching information about the city, I found out that its name as 2 meanings. In Morocco there are 2 groups of languages, The Arab and The Berber languages (which are more than one).
So I found out that Chefchaouen literally means "look at the peaks" in Arabic and somehow also draws its name from the Berber word " CHEFCHAOUEN " which means " Horns ". So which one should we choose? Leave it to you...
The city was built in the year 1471 by Moulay Ali Ben Rachid.
It has a very well preserved medina from the 15th century and shows perfect memories of the ancient Muslim civilization of Andulusia. Narrow streets and blue-white walls are what youll se inside the medina.
The main square Uta el-Hammam is a a very nice place to drink fresh orange juice, relax and look at the Rif mountains.
During the night the city is very euphoric and has very live nightlife. Its perfect just to hung around visit shops talk to locals and count of many times people actually offer you haxixe and marijuana. You can even make a competition with your friends to see you gets more offers. Just smile and say No Thank You.
- Pros:Great nightlife and street cafes
- Cons:tons of people trying to sell you haxixe
- In a nutshell:Good way to start Morocco
Very nice. Cosy and cheap. The price is about the same as other hotels near by. I didnt pick this one for any particular... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Chefchaouene Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I've got the blues for you"
- "Chilled Chefchaouen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chefchaouene
- Hotels in Chefchaouene
- Transportation in Chefchaouene
- Nightlife in Chefchaouene
- Restaurants in Chefchaouene
- Warnings and Dangers in Chefchaouene
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chefchaouene
- 28 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Chefchaouene?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chefchaouene
Photos in ChefchaoueneSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues