"Red City of Marrakech" Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh by johnsakura
Marrakesh Travel Guide: 2,238 reviews and 6,152 photos
Marrakesh is known as the "Red City" Marrakesh is the capital of the south of Morocco. The ambiance here is very different than other Imperial cities like Fez, Rabat or Meknes. This city is something like chaos messed up with berber people, music and gnawa people, everthing with palm trees, monkeys fire, dentists all in one! If you have the time, Marrakesh is worth to explore and come back and back and back. ah...and come back again...
A bit of Marrakesh’s history:
Marrakesh was founded in the 11-th century by the Almoravides. Coming from the south, from the Mauritanian desert which made a capital in the valley on the foot of the Atlas mountains.
Since then Marrakesh has always been one of the capitals of the Moroccan Empire, the great Rival of the Northern capital of Fes. Some Sultans prefered Fes, some Marrakesh.
In the beginning of this century the Glaoui, lord of the Atlas, became Pacha of Marrakesh. Marrakesh belongs to UNESCO World Heritage since 1985.
This was the city that gave the present name to the country Morocco=Marrakesh.
One of my favourite things in Marrakesh is its main square in the Medina part. Is the combination of all the craziness expected in the city itself.
If you need to know where to stay while in Marrakesh, here is a great site to visit, a list of the best 31 places to stay in Marrakesh. 7 levels of prices, from 50 euros to 400 euros per night. you choose. While many people write me asking about accommodation in marrakech, you don't have to write anymore. all you need is here:
I often come to Marrakech to enjoy its craziness and all its action.
- Cons:many pick pockets arround the city expecialy night time on Jma Elfna
I stayed here for 1 week after I decided to come to Marrakech for a couple of weeks. As for working reasons I has to... more travel advice
This is another great Ryad in Marrakesh. If you wish to excape big hotels and be in the center of the old Medina htis is... more travel advice
- See All Another door in the souq
- See All Mosques doors in the Souq
- See All Souqs of Marrakesh
- See All Local street juice shop
johnsakura's Related Pages
Marrakesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakech"
- "Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!"
- "Red City of Marrakech"
- "A “break” in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakesh"
- "Marrakech - the Pink City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Hotels in Marrakesh
- Transportation in Marrakesh
- Nightlife in Marrakesh
- Restaurants in Marrakesh
- Shopping in Marrakesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marrakesh
- 81 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Marrakesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marrakesh
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lets meet for a cup of tea in Marrakesh!"
- updated a Marrakesh Travel Page "Red City of Marrakech"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Caucasian Challenge -..."
- Wrote a Review Riad Marrakech + Hammam and... in Marrakesh Hotels
- Commented on one of NunoMorgadinho's Marrakesh travel pages
Photos in MarrakeshSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues