"Taza" Taza by johnsakura
Taza Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 81 photos
Taza was a very important city in the past. This city is located 65km from Guercif and 120km from Fes. This consists on a passage way from the East to the West of the country.
Taza was the capital of Morocco in many history periods. During the Almohad period, the Merenid period and the Alaouite dynasties. This city was right on the middle of the ancient practicable pass for people coming from Algeria on the east.
This region stretches all the way of the Riff mountains and the Middle Atlas, where they combine. This was the central part of the pwer taken by Moulay Idriss and the first Moroccan arabs and well as Almohads and Merenids. From here they invades Fes.
From my expericence, i have to say that the region is quite interesting not only in historical matters as to be the ancient centre of many old imperies and because it used to be Moroccan's capital, but also by the interesting places to visit in the region around.
Taza has an impressive well protected and organized castle walls right on the southern hill. From here you can get a very nice vision of the new town and on the top of the hill you have the old town all protected by castle walls.
Gouffre du Friouato are this amazing caves and are located 22km from Taza and can be reached going up the mountain oassing Ras ElMa direction Merhraoua.
These caves can be seen at a couple of hours trip from Taza and half day trip if you intend to descend all the cave interior which takes about 4 hours.
Ok, so this tip is for huge aventurous type of people. Theres a very impressive journey that starts near Taza. Its going... more travel advice
There is a train station on the north back part of Taza in the Boulevard Bir Anzarane, right in front of the Hotel de la... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Gouffre du Friouato Caves
Written May 9, 2016
Col de Sidi Mejbeur
johnsakura's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Taza
- 34 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Taza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taza
Photos in TazaSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues