"Akjoujt" Akjoujt by johnsakura
Akjoujt Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 28 photos
Akjoujt is just a passage city between NKT and the city of Atar, 80km from Chinguetti.
Akjoujt was constructed in 1949, and its now more like a ghost town ever since the copper-mining centre closed in the end of the 80's. It seems the technical spending on the mining was just too much for the amount of copper actually digged.
Somehow in 1992 gold was found and a few bunch of australians could actually take a few dozens kilos of it per month until they went away.
Akjoujt is a great place to stop and rest for a while after 256km separating this city and the capital Nouakchott.
along on the side of the road you'll find a couple of restaurants and resting areas where you can ask for a mint tea and chat with locals.
Akjoujt can also be the place to get some water along the way before getting to Atar.
On the picture you can see the tent that belongs to the restaurant on the road. This seems to be the favorite place for the local policemen to rest during their resting break.
- See All Want a ride?
- See All No pictures please
- See All The resting areas along the road to Atar
- bird killer
johnsakura's Related Pages
Akjoujt Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Akjoujt
- Hotels in Akjoujt
- Transportation in Akjoujt
- Restaurants in Akjoujt
- Shopping in Akjoujt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akjoujt
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Akjoujt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akjoujt
Photos in AkjoujtSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues