"The Banc d'Arguin National Park" Ile d' Arguin by johnsakura
Ile d' Arguin Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 22 photos
The Banc d'Arguin National Park is located on the Atlantic desert-coast of Mauritania, midway between the capital Nouakchott in the south and Nouadhibou in the north. Its shallow, marshy waters, containing one of Africa's most productive ecosystems, makes the marine and terrestrial park, barren only at the first look, a unique resource.
Fringing the Atlantic coast, the park comprises sand-dunes, coastal swamps, small islands and shallow coastal waters. The contrast between the harsh desert environment and the biodiversity of the marine zone has resulted in a land- and seascape of outstanding natural significance. A wide variety of migrating birds spend the winter there. Several species of sea turtle and dolphin, used by the fishermen to attract shoals of fish, can also be found.
I passed twice in Arguin area and each time the adventure was different. Thats the car I was going in. Thankful to my friend Hugo, I made a wonderful trip in Mauritania.
Also included in Banc d'Arguin National Park are some fishermen settlements an small villages. Nouamghar or El Manghar is one of those villages 178 km from Nouakchott. Click on the link to go direct to El Manghar page.
On the Atlantic desert-coast of Mauritania, midway between Nouakchott in the south and Nouadhibou in the north, approximately 150km south-south-east of Nouadhibou. The park extends from Cap Timiris in the south, includes the Ile de Tidra, Ile d'Arguin and Cap d'Arguin to Pointe Minou in the north. There is an isolated extension at Cap Blanc. The boundary extends a maximum of 60km into the shallow sea and inland by 35km into the Sahara desert.
As you see on this picture thats me and those 35km inland are here well presented. The desert on this part is great.
On this page Ill also include some pics of inner desertic area on my way from Nouadhibou and Arguin from wich they are not quite inside Arguin but because I don't have anyother location to create due to lack of actual locations on this area (its the desert right?!).
This is A VERY NICE website for visiting the Sahara Desert in Morocco. You have from fancy hotels, to cheap cool hostels in the dunes, 4x4 expeditions, quad etc. Enjoy this site!
The Banc d'Arguin is a crossroads for aquatic birds migrating between Europe, northern Asia and Africa. Over two million... more travel advice
The beach coast is also another wonderful aspect of this Banc d'Arguin National Park. After El Manghar you have at leat... more travel advice
johnsakura's Related Pages
Ile d' Arguin Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ile d' Arguin
- Hotels in Ile d' Arguin
- Transportation in Ile d' Arguin
- Warnings and Dangers in Ile d' Arguin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ile d' Arguin
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Ile d' Arguin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ile d' Arguin
Photos in Ile d' ArguinSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues