"Atar" Atar by johnsakura
Atar Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 250 photos
Adrar Region. For me one of the most beautiful regions in whole Mauritania. Atar is a big city, Mauritanian standards of course, which consists on a very imporatant point in the commerce of the region. Atar serves the city of Chinguetti which lies 80km away inside the desert.
I made Atar 3 times already. Once comming from NKT for my first time where I had to leave some baggage at a friends house to make possible to go with my car to Chinguetti (after all i didnt have to cos the road now is pretty good), another one on my way from Chinguetti and another time almost 2 weeks after comming again from NKT going North to the Moroccan border after Bir Moghrein 900km distance.
well, the town is like a ghost town but with people. can you imagine that? Adrar region is a very hot area so the sun is always present. As every single town in Mauritania, the streets are full of sand. Mauritania is the country of sand, once called by french "Le Gran Vide" the big void. On the picture you have the city centre. This is the main crossroad. From here either you can go to Chinguetti going right, going right to the Hotel Bab Sahara and forward to NKT.
People are for me, one of the nicest things to explore in other countries.
Kids in Mauritania always ry to get something out of you. They can actually turn violente if you dont give a thing. Try to interact with locals and drink Mauritanian tea which is served 3 times. They make this special tea with foam on top, almost like a cappucino with green tea.
This is A VERY NICE website for visiting the Sahara Desert in Morocco. You have from fancy hotels, to cheap cool hostels in the dunes, 4x4 expeditions, quad etc. Enjoy this site!
We got permission and headed to Gueltat Zemmour with army 4x4 on the front of us. Due to much sand also in this part (no... more travel advice
Fortress on the border with Western Sahara -> “Le Mure” NO Man’s LAND. BE careful be careful be careful. mines,... more travel advice
- See All How to get to Bir Moghrein? (part 2)
- Goat run
- See All Red door
- See All Hidden cheap shops
johnsakura's Related Pages
Atar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GATEWAY TO THE DEEP SAHARA"
- "Atar, Mauritania"
- "Atar as waypoint"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atar
- Hotels in Atar
- Transportation in Atar
- Shopping in Atar
- Warnings and Dangers in Atar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atar
- 45 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Atar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atar
Photos in AtarSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues