"Bir Moghrein" Bir Moghrein by johnsakura
Bir Moghrein Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 79 photos
Bir Moghrein is located on the Northern region of Tiris-Zemmour. This toen is located 360 meters above sea level and to get there it seems you just passed the Moon. Incredible.
Heading north to Bir Moghrein is mainly for experiencing the landscape.
The landscape in this region of Mauritania called Ghallamane, is dominated by many and enormous guelbs (crater-like depressions) with very old rock formations.
To get to Bir Moghrein you have to drive north from Zouerat 440km of desert tracks, mountains and black rocks that makes you think you're in another planet. Bir Moghrein is somthing like a military post and has nothing really to see for the normal tourist. But if you're the normal tourist Mauritania will not be an election country. People are great though, maybe because they are not very used to see tourists. Bir Moghrein is located 600km from Tindouf refugees camp of Polisario Front (which I found on Rich Mountains) and The Sarawi Front for the libretation of Western Sahara.
I got to Bir Moghrein when the sun had went away already for a couple of hours. The town was full dark cos there's no electricity. They seem to have something like electricity long ago but a big storm just ruined the generator.
I was comming on my car and my friends which had to switch to a toyota pick up truck due to the extreme weight on our small car, too much weight for the desert tracks that connected Zouerat to Bir Moghrein, making the total of 440km of tracks. We got to the police check point on the town and stayed there until they stamped our passports out, and we knew that was going to be the begining of our big adventure as there is no entry police control stop on the mauritanian side and also on the Moroccan border. No man's land was comming. we had to make 96km until a place known has "le mure" or "the wall" which consists of a thousand km wall separating Morocco from the land mines of the western sahara land, full of Front Polisario activist and many pirates that can appear and try to kidnap you or rob you in the middle of the desert.
Bir Moghrein is a very small town with mud houses. We end up sleeping at a familly house that was comming on the pick up truck along with my friends. You can see my travelogue on Moon Adventure...
Do you want to go from Bir MOghrein and enter Western Sahara forbidden tracks thru Gueltat Zemmour? All on my Transportation tips. Hope you enjoy them. Be careful! Nice travellings...
This is A VERY NICE website for visiting the Sahara Desert in Morocco. You have from fancy hotels, to cheap cool hostels in the dunes, 4x4 expeditions, quad etc. Enjoy this site!
- Pros:Awesome landscapes, off off the beathen path spot, great local people!!
- Cons:Desert Pirates, kidnappings, thousands of land mines
- In a nutshell:Extreme Extreme!!
We got permission and headed to Gueltat Zemmour with army 4x4 on the front of us. Due to much sand also in this part (no... more travel advice
Fortress on the border with Western Sahara -> “Le Mure” NO Man’s LAND. BE careful be careful be careful. mines,... more travel advice
- See All Polisario Front 4wd
- Land mines
- write your business down
- See All Destroyed spanish road
johnsakura's Related Pages
Bir Moghrein Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Bir Moghrein
- Hotels in Bir Moghrein
- Transportation in Bir Moghrein
- Warnings and Dangers in Bir Moghrein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bir Moghrein
- 44 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bir Moghrein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bir Moghrein
Photos in Bir MoghreinSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Évora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues