"Chinguetti" Chinguetti by johnsakura

Chinguetti Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 64 photos

Ah Chinguetti. I made myself going for the second time to Mauritania exclusively to take the train NDB Choum to get to Chinguetti. I couldn't manage that and got stuck in NDB for a whole week waiting for my flight authorization. So I said to myself, Joao, you have to go there again and please do not miss Chinguetti. I didnt, and made everything on my reach to go there in style. So I was received by the Mayor of Chinguetti, in his office. This man is not only the city mayor but the head chief of the whole region of the adrar. cool hey? he was very nice and received our expedition with joy.
I arrived in Chinguetti about 3 o'clock afternoon and went directly to the police station asking for the mayor. We went to the mayor's house talked to him, gave him presents, he gave us a letter to our mayor, and the guy gaves us his right harm Mr. Nana. Nana was the man responsible for the fight againts poverty office.

Chinguetti history
Chinguetti is now composed by two parts of the town, the new and the old part. the old part, the western side dates back 700 years. The age has to do with most of old Chinguetti being constructed from stones. The main attraction in the city is the old mosque with its beautiful tower. Chinguetti was one of the most holy cities in Islam ranked, even today, as number 7.

NBD-stands for Nouadhibou
NKT-Nouakchott

On the picture above you have Nana. Very nice guy. University of Economy in NKT, he now works in the office of the fight against poverty of Chinguetti. He offered us his house food and all. He bought things specially for us and in Mauritania that is rare. He asked us if we wanted to sleep on his house or on his parents tent in the desert, since their parents are nomads and live on a tent in the field of sand. Of course we've chosen the tent.

Adrar Region

This is a pic of the amazing Adrar region. This is one of the landscapes you can find on the region making it unforgettable to your mind. This is a bit of the road from Atar to Chinguetti that has asphalt. All the rest is dirt road.

• Last visit to Chinguetti: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2010

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

O my this is a place I'd love to visit

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 1:55 PM

Wow,what a fantastic page.Stunning pictures.

• Feb 10, 2005 at 8:56 PM

lovely place. on my wish list!

• euzkadi's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 10:45 PM

Wow what a page, i once tried to visit Mauritania, but i couldn´t, thanks for bringing me a part of this country...Tío, que pasada de informacion...felicidades por la pagina

• sachara's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 1:51 PM

Wonderful, that you have made a page of Chinguetti !! Great travelogues. Spending the night in the desert in a nomad tent must be marvellous.

johnsakura

“Straight forward please...”

Badges & Stats in Chinguetti

Have you been to Chinguetti?

Latest Activity in Chinguetti