"NKT" Top 5 Page for this destination Nouakchott by johnsakura
Nouakchott Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 232 photos
Nouakchott was constructed for 15,000, back in 1958. Now there are 600,000 people living here. This extreme growth has nothing to do with economical growth. It's the recurring droughts in Sahara the last 10-20 years, that have forced young people, families and small communities into leaving their traditional ways of living.
Nouakchott, by far the largest city of Sahara, exhibits all the problems of Mauritania. Some people are rich, but inadequate living conditions and slum are dominating, unlike what is normal to the Muslim world. Nouakchott is one of the Arabic cities having most of "Western" problems. Drug abuse and child prostitution are sad proofs of Mauritania's problems with entering the modern ages.
But Nouakchott has a lot of charm, and is not a dangerous place. This city, stretching for kilometres in northern direction, has a laid back atmosphere. People are very friendly, and there are almost just as many women in the streets as there are men.
Beaches are great taking apart some garbage on the sand.
This is A VERY NICE website for visiting the Sahara Desert in Morocco. You have from fancy hotels, to cheap cool hostels in the dunes, 4x4 expeditions, quad etc. Enjoy this site!
around 5 o'clock fishermen arrive from thei daily journey at sea. can be one of the biggest experiences in mauritnaia i... more travel advice
- Mad drivers
- Swiming or running on the beach
- See All Water to fishermen
- Bad smell
johnsakura's Related Pages
Nouakchott Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FRIENDLY CAPITAL"
- "Tips from my "end-of-mission" report"
- "Nouakchott I lived here"
- "Nouakchott 2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nouakchott
- Hotels in Nouakchott
- Transportation in Nouakchott
- Restaurants in Nouakchott
- Shopping in Nouakchott
- Warnings and Dangers in Nouakchott
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nouakchott
- 29 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Nouakchott?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nouakchott
Photos in NouakchottSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination …vora Intro, 275 reviews, 314 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 104 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 103 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 81 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nouadhibou Intro, 81 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Senegal Intro, 79 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 78 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 66 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 63 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 58 reviews, 104 photos, 3 travelogues