"Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!" Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels by belgianchocolate
Brussels Travel Guide: 5,650 reviews and 11,941 photos
There is something for everybody in Brussels.
A rich cultural offer , museums enough
to spend a lifetime...
The good Belgian life : lots of restaurants ,
Forget about the tourist bus ,
search your own way ,
go further then the 'grand place'.
Dare to get lost...
Ok , I might have to explain that title?
It is said that 'Brusseleirs' have got
their own way of handeling things.
They are also known as 'zinnekes'.
A 'zinneke' is a bastard dog who pies
on the big issues and has it's own way
of looking at things.
They don't really care about the
French-Flemish language thing ,
they got their own language.
Politics...pfffft , they say they do
whatever they like anyway.
But what do they do themselves?
It is a bit a Belgian thing.
Belgians say yes to law and order
and then do the things they like
the way they want. Probably a left over
from all the abuses through history.
If you look at Belgium , only the architecture
you could think there is no
'Ministry of Housing Spatial Planning and the Environment '.
But there is one...
In the end it has it's charm and
we are used to it.
How do you like it?
And that is how Brussels became how
it looks today. Interesting ,..savage sometimes.
And let's not forget about 'Leopold II''
the second king of the Belgians ,
who wanted Brussels to become
a real capital and knocked half
the city down but in return had build
some impressive buildings and
big lanes. Brussels would still
have been a village without him.
In some sence he was a 'Zinneke' as well.
Maybe you'll like it too.
- Pros:A city safari is always possible.
- In a nutshell:This page will grow slowly
. . . . . This is a tiny place in the 'zuidstraat'. A small vietnamees restaurant. Their food is just great and they... more travel advice
Where shall I start? When I was reading books about Belgian history , especially about my favorite period , I... more travel advice
- See All Elegant jewels...
- See All The elephant! - Tervuren
- See All The weather.
- See All A perfect place to start..
belgianchocolate's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 101 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 64 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Posted in Travel Belgium Forum "Re: Seven days in Belgium"
- Wrote a Review Best lucnch value in town! in Brussels Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to " Best lucnch value in town!"
- Commented on one of lumikki's Brussels travel pages
- updated a Brussels Travel Page "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 163 reviews, 202 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 101 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 72 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 54 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valladolid Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos