Banjarmasin Off The Beaten Path Tips by belgianchocolate Top 5 Page for this destination
Banjarmasin Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Luckely the zoo hasn't got a large collection.
Apart from a camel , some birds , three sad orang utans , a few probiscus monkeys , a leaf monkey , a casuaris and a cat...
Just one animal I should mention.
THE BELGIAN CHICKENS...
The main attraction if you ask me.
(but of course you didn't)
Some ethics? Can I go to a zoo that doesn't treat his animals to well. If you go , you will support the zoo , by paying admission you give them money to keep on going on....I don't know. We went , and we did mentioned what we where thinking about the cages and so one...It keeps me thinking.
Other Contact: adres in other tip..
sunbears cage - banjarmasin zoo
Just adding another picture...to give you an idea how the sunbears are living.
The most amazing story and thing I've ever seen was a cage where they had kept a Python , an otter and a lizard together. The story was that they had a bit off an argument at the beginning , who is going to be boss...but then everything went just fine.
NO , I DIDN'T ASKED WHO WAS BOSS.
Also the probiscus monkeys now staying at the zoo where strong ones. They lived already for a few weeks. Probiscus monkeys have a very strict diet and don't stay alive long in zoos.
Orang utan at zoo banjarmasin
There are always a few things I want to see. And the zoo is one of those things. I think how people treat animals tells a lot about cultural differences.
What do you see when you take a deep look into this youngsters eyes?
Al the animals here are in very small cages build above a dirty smelly creek. They don't get much attention...they where not used to it.
Arround and under the cages appears to be a junkyard. This is an improvement since we use a color slide from the old zoo , where the junk was just in the cage.
Did they had a permit to keep orang utans?
Ofcourse not. Here comes a story about corruption. The three red apes here where owned by the towns meir , police inspector and someone of the law. Since It is still a status symbol to have one.
And the best part is yet to come. We have met the officer of the touristical department in the zoo. He was building a web-page. The zoo appears to be an educational project of the town mayor.
A LONG WAY TO GO....
Kebun Binatang P.K.K. kotamadya
(in jahri saleh street)
Admission fee : 1000 Ir
More Reviews (11)
belgianchocolate's Related Pages
Banjarmasin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Venetia of kalimantan. (haha)"
- ">> city by the rivers "
- "SOUTH BORNEO / KALIMANTAN SELATAN"
- "Banjarmasin, the River Life Charm"
- "QUEEN ESTUARY: BANJARMASIN"
- "Banjarmasin the river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banjarmasin
- Hotels in Banjarmasin
- Transportation in Banjarmasin
- Shopping in Banjarmasin
- Warnings and Dangers in Banjarmasin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banjarmasin
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Banjarmasin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banjarmasin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 163 reviews, 202 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 101 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 72 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 54 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siena Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valladolid Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos