"In many ways... a warm welcome!" Kalimantan (Borneo) by belgianchocolate

Kalimantan (Borneo) Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 23 photos

Kalimantan must be the least attractive island of Indonesia if you are looking for culture , tempels...

Our Mission was to visit the orang utan center we support and take home a lot of pictures and material to bring our message and to do some serious fundsraising.
Nyaru menteng is not a tourist spot. It is even hard to get in for scientific research. The red apes need to learn that people aren't always ok. And the less people they get to see the better....

But ofcourse we also took the time to get to know banjarmasin a little better , spend a few days in Palanka raya... So you will find a lot of info on these places....

As I'm saying , there aren't a lot of tourist attraction , it is more the experience that counts , and meeting the people...
more then a warm welcome

hope you will enjoy my pages.

(under construction , later on expect to read a lot of information on the rehabilitationproces , the reforrestation , wildlife.....)

• Last visit to Kalimantan (Borneo): Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2003

• DidiBeachBum's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 8:42 PM

Derawan Archipelago in east kalimantan is one of the best dive spots in Indo. It contains a high diversity of coral reefs around 400 species and over 700 fish species. the saddest thing about kalimantan is the rampant illegal logging. :(

• grets's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2004 at 11:13 AM

I always wondered what the Indonesian part of Borneo would be like. It looks amazing - I love primitive and non-touristy places. Any photos of orangutans?

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 9:07 PM

Did you see the orang Utan in real?

• smyturn's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 5:41 PM

Don't know what to say. Does tourism help the people, the environment, the wildlife? Thank you for making me stop and think.

• Jan 5, 2004 at 2:01 PM

Very thought-provoking page, well done. I have deep respect for your work for orangutans.

• Janni67's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2003 at 9:28 AM

What a great page, in a bit different way than what I usually mean with it... because yours stopped me for a while, made think about matters... well done!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2003 at 7:34 AM

Interesting portrait of Borneo Greets from Gent

• aramat's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2003 at 9:28 AM

That python skin has made me so sad....so much is lost in the world forever... no matter what tourists do or not do. And the point is not the penalty at the airport, it's the damage done!

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2003 at 10:05 PM

You proved that you can create a great page without going to Disneyland!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 4:09 PM

great tips, we need to make more people aware of the damage we are doing to our world

belgianchocolate

“Paradise is just round the corner.... ;-) take care.”

Badges & Stats in Kalimantan (Borneo)

Have you been to Kalimantan (Borneo)?