"Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo" Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo by cindi5775
Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 60 photos
Dolores Hidalgo is where the fight for independence from Spain began. In the early hours of September 16, 1810, Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla gave his famous speech, "El Grito," to his parishioners from the steps of the parish church.
The exact words of the speech have been lost, but the gist was that Hidalgo and his cohorts called for death to the bad government and to the Spanish overlords. He called for the expulsion of all foreign invaders and rulers so that Mexicans could rule themselves.
After the speech, the rebels captured the Spanish officials who ruled over the town, freed the prisoners from the town jail, and incarcerated the Spanish officials.
Father Hidalgo was a Roman Catholic priest, but a rather unconventional one. He took his priestly vows lightly and sired two daughters out of wedlock. He also took his duties lightly, preferring to hand them over to his vicars so he could pursue other interests.
He saw the priesthood and the Catholic Church as a source of income rather than a spiritual calling. He climbed the "corporate ladder" from parish to ever-richer parish until he was awarded the parish of Dolores, a fairly wealthy parish at the time.
That is not to say he did not care for the lives and economic situations of his parishioners. Far from it. He taught people how to make pottery, cure leather, raise silkworms, cultivate vineyards and olive groves, weave wool, make harnesses, do carpentry and blacksmithing.
People in Dolores Hidalgo are still engaged in these industries that Father Hidalgo began two centuries ago.
- Pros:Few foreign tourists, small town atmosphere, fantastic ice cream, interesting museums
- Cons:Not much to do if you don't speak Spanish, too close to the large expat community of San Miguel de Allende
- In a nutshell:More than Just a Place to Buy Pottery
The restaurant is small with about ten tables. The grill/prep area in the back is open to the restaurant. Besides... more travel advice
Just two blocks south of Dolores Hidalgo's parish church (Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores) and one block from... more travel advice
cindi5775's Related Pages
Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Journey to Dolores Hidalgo"
- "Dolores Hidalgo"
- "Dolores Hidalgo, Cuna de la Independencia de Méxic"
- "Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo"
- "Dolores Hidalgo, Cradle of Mexican Independence"
- "Birthplace of Independence-page under construction"
- "Staying with family In DH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Hotels in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Transportation in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Restaurants in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Shopping in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Caldas da Rainha
- Wildcat Den State Park Hotels
- Clifton Hotels
- Weißenberg Hotels
- Cordillera de Tilarán Hotels
- Cannon Beach
- Ban Mae Ngon
- West Dover
- West Yarmouth Hotels
- Bandol Hotels
- Praia de Odeceixe
- Departamento de Chimaltenango
- City Island
- Hanalei Landing
Badges & Stats in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- 6 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
Top 5 Pages
- Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Intro, 6 reviews
- Tonalá Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Guanajuato 1 review
- San Miguel de Allende 1 review
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Potosí 1 review
No friends yet.