"Puerto Rico, Goddess of the Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Municipio by ojos_de_mar
San Juan Municipio Travel Guide: 731 reviews and 2,350 photos
San Juan, the capitol city of the Island of Puerto Rico, is the head of the metro area in many ways. In terms of economical , hitorical, and (by these same resons) touristic importance, it compares to no other city in Puerto Rico. It's privileged situation -it is actually an island that was annexed to the main island by the Spaniards- gives it a special aura, be it because it's surrounded by water, its forts, the old city and houses or merely because of the wonderful views it enables the inhabitant to experience. The best places to go are "Castillo San Felipe del Morro" and "San Cristóbal" if you're into history and enjoy old forts..and even if you don't, trust me, it is a once in a lifetime experience. There are daily visits held from 9-5, and there are some both in English and Spanish. Another plca that I like to go to from time to time is the national cementery, which is right next to El Morro...but that's just a personal note. Many of the great puertorrican men and women are buried there. Now..very nearby is the Museum of the Americas, known to the locals as Ballajá. They have a lot of ongoing (and free) exhibitions by artists from all over the Americas. Now..if you'r ealready hungry, a good place to go and taste some local and inventive cuisine is headed towards the "Calle San Sebastian"..this street is probably the one you'd like to stick to if you decide to continue your night into a party. There are a lot of pubs, restaurants and cafes along this street, many of them with live bands ranging from local rock to the more exotic salsa and plena styles.If you're into this, experiencing some dance moves with tropical rythms can be achieved in Rumba, a hot spot recognized for having always live music. Although Fridays and Saturdays are great days to come to San Juan for this type of activity if you happen to be in the city on the first Tuesday of every month, you will have as much fun while getting a little artsy. San Juan celebrates the " Noche de Galerías" during these night. What they do is have the art galleries saty open from 5 pm until 9-10 pm. After that, you're good to go and have a couple of drinks and enjoy the city as well. A lot of other things come to mind, for example, you should go and visit so many other places like museums (and there are a lot of small ones here), and the Paseo la Pincesa , which is a beautiful stroll down the oceanfront...
- Pros:Night life!!...also, everything is within reach, there are great restaurants and of course, the people. This is probably the best place to go shopping if you want art... now, if you want artisanship, you should probably try the "ferias artesanales"
- Cons:Being a metro area it can get quite congested in terms of traffic during certain times during the day.
- In a nutshell:Fun, sun, beaches, old and new rolled all up together
These two restaurants are among the good restaurants witha mid range pricing (20-25 dollars per plate, plus... more travel advice
ojos_de_mar's Related Pages
San Juan Municipio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome To San Juan, Puerto Rico"
- "Puerto Rico, Goddess of the Sea"
- "A Spanish Treasure in the Caribbean"
- "Old San Juan"
- "San Juan at Night"
- "Mi isla encantada"
- "Love Puerto Rico! Que Rico!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan Municipio
- Hotels in San Juan Municipio
- Transportation in San Juan Municipio
- Nightlife in San Juan Municipio
- Restaurants in San Juan Municipio
- Shopping in San Juan Municipio
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan Municipio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Juan Municipio
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to San Juan Municipio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan Municipio
Top PagesSee All Travel Pages (2)
No friends yet.