"Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is paradise!" Top 5 Page for this destination Quepos by laura4n8

Quepos Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 328 photos

The short beach area near Manuel Antonio is paradise! The views are stunning, the weather pleasant, the activities abundant and the relaxation level high. I've only been during the rainy season so the beach hasn't been crowed which provide an opportunity to see the same people every day. We became friends with the surfers that rode the waves outside our hotel, became dance partners with the same locals at the weekend parties and enjoyed the same friendly faces as we walked the beach or shopped the small stores. Although it rains everyday ... the off season is great! We just made sure to squeeze in all our activities before 4 p.m. The mornings are gorgeous! And since it gets light at 5:30 a.m. there is plenty of time to enjoy them. Of course, the downside is that it gets dark at 5:30 p.m. But take a nap, listen to the rain and venture out at 10 p.m. for a good night out!

Flying is half the fun

We flew from Atlanta to San Jose and then bought a cheap ticket on Sansa to the Quepos airport (near the coast). The flight to Quepos was half the fun! The Sansa terminal was quaint and completely different than any airport experience in the States. After reporting your weight and the weight of your bags, they hand write your name on the flight manifest. The flight schedule doesn't really exists as they just depart whenever the planes get there. The plane is a single propeller Cessna of some sort and has great photo windows. We were in Quepos in 20 short minutes -- the flight really did seem like a tour in itself.

Getting to the hotel

When we arrived at Quepos we walked in the terminal which literally is a thatched-roof structure. Sansa provides van transportation into the town for $5 American per person (or $3000 Colones). If your hotel is in the main part of town the van will take you directly to your hotel. As for us who were lodging at Nature's Beachfront, we had to take another car that could make it down the steep and bumping road to our place of lodging. On our last trip, a flat-bed truck blocked the road about half-way down and so we had to walk down the road. Ahh ... what an experience! We were definitely ready to plop our bags down and rest when we got to the hotel. Nature's Beachfront offers the best view of the beach and an almost-private beach.

• Pros:Friendly and relaxing
  • Cons:It gets dark at 5:30 p.m in the off season
  • In a nutshell:A must-see in Costa Rica!
  • Last visit to Quepos: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2004

• rcsparty's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM

good tips, we are heading to Quepos next week

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 10:24 AM

Well done peek at Quepos! Birthday greetings from the other end of the country!

• perseushermes's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2005 at 5:04 AM

Interesting tip on the Canopy Tour. Nice photos too.

• Jul 11, 2005 at 12:10 PM

Something tells me that if I ran around in MY bathing suit all the time people might not appreciate it as much ;-) Nice page, Laura!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 10:35 AM

Good tips for my trip next month, thanks

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 7:47 PM

I took another peek at your Costa Rican pages, Laura. My best friend in the entire world's daughter is headed off on a school trip there on Valentine's Day. Beautiful and carefree pages. : )

• yelli's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 12:06 AM

one of my favorite places I've ever been to! I'm happy you enjoyed it

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2004 at 7:47 AM

Besutiful page. I like your photos

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2004 at 3:55 AM

Now this is what I call a beautiful life ;-D

• Nov 1, 2003 at 9:09 AM

Hi laura! I was in Costa Rica 10 years ago, and there are no big changes since that time, good to know. Greetings from tom

laura4n8

“"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." RW Emerson”

Badges & Stats in Quepos