" Oostende - Home Sweet Home >>>>>>>" Top 5 Page for this destination Oostende by Innovator
Oostende Travel Guide: 525 reviews and 1,682 photos
Oostende is a city of about 90.000 inhabitants and still the largest city at the Belgian coast.
Very important for the image of the city was the attention it started to receive from the Belgian kings Leopold I and Leopold II. Both liked to spent their vacations in Oostende. Important monuments and villas were built to please the Royal Family. The rest of aristocratic Belgium followed and soon Oostende became known as "The Queen of the Belgian sea-side resorts" .
I'm not gonna bother you like some other vt-users do by giving must see tips as: The Aquarium, the Mercator Ship, the Cathedral,... these are definitely short-see tips. You can pass them & take a picture,nothing less nothing more.
I'd rather give you tips of atmospheric events/places that makes our city charmfull. That is what you will remember as a tourist. Static buildings are no must-see activities.
I try to bring over the atmosphere in pictures, events, fine restaurant tips,...
This picture here is our famous statue with a fisherman staring over the northsea with crossed arms, remembering all the fishers that died in the sea in history. A bit the statue of liberty of Ostend :)
The History of Ostend
Oostende, now a major Belgian city of about 90.000 people, was nothing more than a small village built on an island (called Testerep) between the North Sea and a beach lake. Although small, the village rose to the status of 'city' around 1265 when the inhabitants were allowed to hold a market and to build a market hall.
The major source of income for the inhabitants was, of course, fishing. The North Sea coastline has always been rather unstable and in 1395 the inhabitants decided to build a new Oostende behind large dikes and further away from the always threatening sea.
The strategic position on the North Sea coast had major advantages for Oostende as a harbor but also proved to be a source of trouble. The city was frequently taken, destroyed and rampaged by conquering armies. After their independence from the Spanish Empire, the Dutch had preserved some strongholds in the Southern Netherlands, such as the cities of Nieuwpoort and Oostende. Between 1601 and 1604 the Spanish army succeeded in taking Oostende from the 'Geuzen (= Protestant Dutch seperationists)'.
After this era Oostende turned into a quiet harbor of some importance. In 1722 the Dutch closed off the entrance to the harbor of Antwerp. Therefore, Oostende rose in importance because the city provided an alternative entrance to the sea. The Southern Netherlands (now Belgium) had became part of the Austrian Empire. The Austrian Emperor Charles VI granted the city the trade monopoly with Africa and the Far-East. The 'Oostendse Compagnie' (= the Ostend trade society) was allowed to found colonies overseas. However, in 1727 the 'Oostendse Compagnie' was forced to stop its activities because of Dutch and British pressure. Holland and Britain would not allow competitors on the international trade level. But nations regarded international trade as their privilege.
In later times the harbor of Oostende continued to expand because the harbor dock, as well as the traffic connections with the hinterland, were improved. In 1838 a railway connection with Brussels was constructed. Oostende became a transit harbor to England in 1846 when the first Ferryboat sailed to Dover. When King Leopold I & II built the Hypodrome, Casino and many other, Ostend became the Queen of all Seaside resorts. Nightlife was very much alive, lots of tourists yearly. Then Ostend lost his crown when Germans bombarded our city in WW II.
Then Ostend arised again with new architecture, and now is back for good. Now in 2006 the city is again in full expansion, new shoppingcentra, biggest basketballtemple, new restaurants....
Enjoy the Queen of all Seaside resorts!
- Pros:Charming city, nice beach, peacefull
- Cons:Nightlife is nothing, the city should invest in youth & creativity, new pubs, loungebars, discos, ...
DJ Paco plays some psychedelic combinations of reggae - french chanson - latin - ... Can be very crowdy, one of the most... more travel advice
Written Nov 1, 2008
Oostende Voor Anker Yearly International Event
Written Nov 2, 2004
Atmospheric images part 1 : Oostende in Panorama
Written Nov 2, 2004
Atmospheric images part 2 : Oostende's fishinglife
Written Nov 2, 2004
Atmospheric Images part 3 : Sea & Sun shades
Innovator's Related Pages
Oostende Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "tweetycaro's Oostende Page"
- " Oostende - Home Sweet Home..."
- "patrikske's new Oostende Page"
- "The city at the Belgian coast"
- "Oostende- A Day on the Flemish Coast"
- "OOPS! - stende: Oostende by accident"
- "Oostende - Ostend - Queen of the belgian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oostende
- Hotels in Oostende
- Transportation in Oostende
- Nightlife in Oostende
- Restaurants in Oostende
- Shopping in Oostende
- Warnings and Dangers in Oostende
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oostende
- 80 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Oostende?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oostende
- Wrote a Review Lafayette about Pubs / Bars in Oostende Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rood (Red) with DJ Fluppe (weekends)"
- updated a Oostende Travel Page " Oostende - Home Sweet Home >>>>>>>"
- Commented on one of sabsi's Oostende travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: more button doesn't work..."
Photos in OostendeSee All Photos (144)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oostende Intro, 80 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 116 photos
- Brussels Intro, 84 reviews, 65 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 44 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gent Intro, 36 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marmaris Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 28 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kusadasi Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues