"AYUTTHAYA - THE ANCIENT CAPITAL OF THAILAND" Ayuthaya by Innovator
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 688 reviews and 2,161 photos
Founded c. 1350, Ayutthaya became the second Siamese capital after Sukhothai. It was destroyed by the Burmese in the 18th century. Its remains, characterized by the prang (reliquary towers) and gigantic monasteries, give an idea of its past splendour.
The ancient city of Ayutthaya, or Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya was the Thai capital for 417 years. This old capital was founded in 1350 by King U-Thong and was sacked by the Burmese in 1767. Thirty three kings of different dynasties ruled the kingdom.
Ayutthaya is located 76 kms. north of Bangkok. It was one of Indo-China's most prosperous cities and is one of Thailand's major historical attractions. The grandeur of Ayutthaya is reflected by numerous magnificent structures and ruins concentrated in and around the city island surrounded by the Chao Phraya, Pa Sak and Lop Buri Rivers. The area, well conserved as a historical park, has been included in UNESCO's list of World Heritage since 13 December 1991. Ayutthaya covers an area of 2,556 square kilometres.
Pity enough this visit was not foreseen in our program, the reason was that we arrived on another day and it didn't match in our schedule, but we were so stunned from the pictures we saw before, that we booked it extra.
In our hotel in Kanchanaburi, we booked a guide (Mr.Chicken) with a driver (a former retired policeman). The trip was about 2 hours by car, but worth every second! The price was +- a normal excursion price for 2 persons.
Ayutthaya is very well preserved, lots of different places to visit, buddha images, the tree with the buddhahead in it. We could not visit everything cause some places were flooded, but eventually I found this one of the best excursions!
- Pros:Most impressive visit in our roundtrip
- Cons:1 hour from Bangkok, 2hrs from Kanchanaburi
Innovator's Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- "Old Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
Photos in AyuthayaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oostende Intro, 81 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 116 photos
- Brussels Intro, 84 reviews, 65 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 44 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gent Intro, 36 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marmaris Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 28 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kusadasi Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Ayuthaya hotel reviews
- Baan Lotus Guest House
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Tony's Place
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Krungsri River Hotel
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Ayutthaya Place Youth Hostel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Ayothaya Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- The Old Palace Resort
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- P.U. Inn Ubonpon
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- U-Thong Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2012