The Gambia Favorite Tips by David&Pauline Top 5 Page for this destination
The Gambia Favorites: 46 reviews and 62 photos
Lucas' compound in Kotu Township.
Favorite thing: You must meet Lucas Jatta, a rastafarian palm wine tapper. His open air "Nature" palm juice bar is next door to the Badala Park Hotel, Kotu, just past the bush taxi stand. Do buy some of his palm wine and fresh fruit grown there in the palm stand. He is a very warm, and loving man with a large family to support.
Fondest memory: Spending all of Christmas day 2001 in Lucas Jatta's compound in Kotu Township. Sharing his hard won food with his wonderful family. The evening was spent at a bar in the heart of Serrekunda, watching a sea of humanity pass by. We danced our way into Boxing Day at the unique Rasta Garden in Kololi. Lucas and his brother Abraham are terrific company and very trustworthy. We write and phone them regularly. Here are some words from Lucas:
Welcome to my Gambia, if you are planning your first trip or have had the fortune to visit my country many times before let me show you The Gambia as we, the people live it. My name is Lucas Jatta, I am a palm tapper, as was my father who hailed from Guinea Bissau, before me. I am of the Jola tribe, I am a Christian and follow the ways of the Rastafari which gives me a different perspective on a country which is mostly Moslem. I should like to invite you to see The Gambia from that different perspective and as I spend so much of my life atop the palm trees I see much that goes on. Do come and visit me soon and we shall all have a happy time.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Learn African jungle skills in Guinea...
- See All Bush taxi or bus?
- See All Best pub in Serrakunda
- See All Serrakunda's once notorious hotel
- See All Abraham Bah, an excellent guide
- Your unwanted items will find a...
David&Pauline's Related Pages
The Gambia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The perfect winter sun destination?"
- "The Gambia"
- "NATURE OF THE GAMBIA: palm wine days"
- "The smiling coast"
- "Gambia , Beautiful Gambia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Gambia
- Hotels in The Gambia
- Transportation in The Gambia
- Nightlife in The Gambia
- Restaurants in The Gambia
- Shopping in The Gambia
- Warnings and Dangers in The Gambia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Gambia
- 28 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to The Gambia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Gambia
- Posted in Travel Georgetown Forum "Re: kotu to georgetown"
- Wrote a Review Learn African jungle skills in Guinea Bissau in The Gambia Things to Do
- updated a The Gambia Travel Page "NATURE OF THE GAMBIA: palm wine days"
- Uploaded a Photo to "NATURE OF THE GAMBIA: palm wine days"
- Commented on one of jill_archer's The Gambia travel pages
Top 5 Pages
- India Intro, 58 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rishikesh Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos
- Ghanzi District Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Gunjur Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos